Brake Accumulator Replacement Q's

11secGN

Getting ready to replace my accumulator. Can anyone give me a run down on the do's and don't's? How long does it take? Easy fix? Thanks.

About 2 minutes. Key off, pump the brake 10 times, get out, unscrew old accumulator, screw on new accumulator, start car, drive away.

Have a paper towel handy, a few drips of brake fluid will come out. Brake fluid will make your inner fenders look better, but it will eat paint so you want to avoid that.

Originally posted by UNGN
About 2 minutes. Key off, pump the brake 10 times, get out, unscrew old accumulator, screw on new accumulator, start car, drive away.

Have a paper towel handy, a few drips of brake fluid will come out. Brake fluid will make your inner fenders look better, but it will eat paint so you want to avoid that.

UNGN likes to oversimplify on some ocassions ;) but really that's about all there is to it. I like to take a few extra precautions though.

With the key off, I like to pump the brake until it's rock hard. Maybe 10 pumps won't be enough, may it will, depends on the car.
As said, have a towel under it to catch the few drops that will spill out. Don't get even one drop on a painted surface!!

Once you get the new on tightened on, turn the key on and wait for a while until the PM motor stops running, and then start giving the brake pedal a few slow steady pumps to get the system back up to pressure.

Once in a while the first few pedal applies may go all the way to to the floor. That's why I give if a few test pumps before driving away ;)