brake help!

guyn

Hi guys, just fired up my '84 Gn today, last fall when I parked it I thought I was having tranny problems when hot, and had to have it towed home. Today I fired her up and everything was fine , transmission worked well but after I let her sit at idle for about 45 mins to recharge the battery, when I tried to back her in and she would not move, what I discovered is that when hot the front brakes locked up solid . The rear wheel dug up the gravel but the car would not move.I shut her down let it sit for an hour then disconected the vaccum hose on the booster then it would move but brakes were still partially engaged as I had to step on the gas to get it to roll in the shop and at idle it should roll a little on it's own once in gear.
Any one have this happen to them , do you have any idea what going on. Is it the brake booster.
thanks Guy Newton

I take it you have vacuum brakes? If so, it would have to be in the booster if it does it without driving the car.

From what I can see in my manual the brake system is a hydroboost II and what I thought was the vacum line is actually the return line,I new to the GN,I've only worked mainly on sixties Mopars.Any Ideas?:confused:

I got one...

Get rid of the Hydraboost II.

I changed out my troublesome Powermaster system for regular olld vacuum brakes from an 80's V8 regal or a monte will work too.

Its like a day job and it real straightforward. Take the pedal from one too and replace the stock GN pedal.

Well worth the time and effort.

Your problem might be the hydroboost (although im not real familliar with it) or it could be a seized piston in one of your calipers...

BUT if you say it only locks the brakes when its hot - thats definitely the hydroboost system. Since its hooked to the PWR Steering pump...there is no vacuum lines there...they are the send and return lines for the fluid for the system.

Id remove it.

Theres a detailed article at gnttype.org I used....its in the technical articals section.