You can type here any text you want

Brake pads.... Its been asked to death but no real answer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GTABurnout

What pads fit our car are they the same as the 91 vette or the 89 or what. Autozone just looked at me funny when I asked for ones for a mystery 89 trans Am w/ a 3.8.... Any help would be great. Thanks

Originally posted by GTABurnout
What pads fit our car are they the same as the 91 vette or the 89 or what. Autozone just looked at me funny when I asked for ones for a mystery 89 trans Am w/ a 3.8.... Any help would be great. Thanks

tell them to look up firebird with 3.8 turbo, or you can go IROC withthe 1LE package

The front pads are the same as an early 90's model corvette and the rear pads are for 89 trans am.They are the 1le option.Most places will only find our cars under firebird and 3.8 option as was mentioned.

Hunter, when you go into the parts stores, tell them it is a firebird, not a trans/am. they have it messed up in the computers. Everybody in town has it listed, just not correctly. HTH

Hunter,

The pads I have now came from AutoZone, their RayBestos or what ever is there high end pad. Cann't recall, it has been about a year. Same deal as what the others have said, ask in a different way. When I first got my TTA there was not a 3.8 listed anywhere in 89 at my local Autozones despite what everyone said. A few months latter, bamo, back in their system. If you still have no luck drop me a line (brent@brentg.net) and I will get you the part numbers I used.

BTW, while you are under there you may want to do what I did and swap in a set of Earl's stainless lines. They cost about $90 but where worth it. At a minimum I would get a couple of large bottles of brake fluid and change out the old factory stuff. My car only had about 27.5K at the time but the brake fluid looked like hell. I used the DOT 4 Valvoline Synthetic.

And one more BTW, keep an eye on the back calipers. One of mine started to stick after I did the brakes all of the way around. The front may be prone to it as well. My understanding is the vetts had the same issue. You get a little corrosion on the piston which ends up causing it to stick in the aluminum bore. No real worry, happens every once in a while as I understand, just something to keep an eye out for on your first few drives.

Brent

Back