You can type here any text you want

Brake Problem - Booster???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nick368

Ok. 87 GN 134k, had the brake conversion done, just replaced rear wheel cylinders and drums and one front rotor that was warped. Mechanic tells me that it feels like the brakes are not power assisted. Very hard to stop. He thinks that the booster is not leaking and may need to be replaced. What am I looking at as far as cost goes and could this be correct?

Nick

A complete replacement vacuum booster and master cylinder assembly at Autozone will run you about $150.00 +/-. You figure 2-3 hours labor at $50-$60 an hour plus brake fluid and shop supplies and you should be good to go. That is if you are having a reputable mechanic handle this for you. If he tries to charge you more than $150.00 for the brake booster/master cylinder complete assembly, then something is not right.
Here is the link.
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP269325...partType,00143/shopping/partProductDetail.htm
Very possibly he might be right. Typically when the vacuum booster goes out on a vacuum brake setup, you will get a very hard pedal. It's the same as pumping the brake pedal when the car is turned off. You will get an initial Pssshhhhh with the first pedal push, then hard pedal with more pumps. If ya got no Pssshhhh with the car running and pushing the pedal, I would suspect the vacuum booster too. :D
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Does your car sit ? Check the front rubber brakes hoses They swell when the fluid gets hot .

Back