Brake upgrade report ... wow

gn4u2c

Yes Its fast no you can't
I replaced my old read wheels cylinders with s-10 manual units and installed the kirban soft pads .

I replaced my front with caprice spindals ,tubular upper control arms, 1LE camaro rotors new caprice calipers, and 96 9c1 brake pads after getting it all back together the 12 rotors lookj mean through the GNX wheels . I did a couple easy 50-10 mph slow downs and they seemed to be working fine then I blasted up to around 100 and slamed on them HHHHHHHHHHoooooooooolllllyyyyyyyyyy shenikies I amost ate the steering wheel the car came to a stop in nooo time. crazy diffrent well worth every $ spent. This thing stops better than my 98 TA .No joke.
Just thought I would share that with anyone who was thinking of this mod and never did it.

gn4u2c, would you mind listing the parts and which cars they came off: year, model; new or used, etc? I want to do exactly the same mods to my T-Type. I know I can get the tubular upper arms from Jegs or Summit. I want to start shopping right away. Thanks ahead of time.

Jeff

Spindles from an old full size chevy with 12 discs, mine were from a caprice station wagon. $35. each came complete.
Global West Upper control arms # CNR-88-BB $567.
12 inch 1LE drilled rotors from summit. $114. each
Rebuilt calipers from autozone $11. each exchange so get old calipers from donor car.
Performance friction pads $39. from autozone
New dust shields from P&G Chevy $12. each.
Russell braided stainless hoses, comes with the rear too $72. from Jegs.
New sway bar end link bolts and bushings $14. from Jegs. S-10 wheel cyls. $8. each from autozone.
Did the whole job over a weekend and took my time and painted stuff as I went along.
Front end alignment $46.
Have fun.:D
Tarey D.

Ok here we go
80 caprice spindals, dust shields,wheels bearings,dust cap. calipers front brake hoses.
used parts are ok if you are on a budget .

local junk yard should have them I paid $20.00 a sode for complete units even included rotors( they will not work)

I decided new parts would be better for some items.

Upper contol arms summit used a discount code fromhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php3?
$412.00

96 caprice calipers $19.00 a side reman. autozone.

96 9c1 caprice pads $29.00 (regular capice pads will work fine 9c1 are larger)

90 1LE IROC-Z rotors. (correct bolt patten carice rotors have big lug patten)$72.99 each !!!!!!!

new dust seals $2.99

80 caprice brake hoses (angel head at caliper mount) gn hoses will work but do not fit as well and tend to bind in tight wheel turns. $10.99 each

reused old bearing from caprice because they looked great, The camaro rotors already have the correct races in them.

s-10 wheel cylinders $9.99 each

soft shoes from kirban?? cant find the reciept but about $40.00

it all went together so easy I tought something had to be wrong. but it's perfect !! I love it. AH be sure to bleed you brakes! double check all bolts and install new cotter pins. WEAR YOU SEATBELT!!!
you will be shocked!!

does the combination of

-- caprice B-body spindles
-- 12" camaro rotors & calipers ,

fit under a stock GN wheel ??

About the B body spindles and 12" brakes fitting in the 15" wheel.
82' El Camino with global west tubular uppers and b body spindles and 12" rotors fit just fine in the T Type (alum) wheels.
Both G bodies if it works on the el camino it will work on a Regal, Gran Prix, Cutlass, etc.
Not sure about the GN steel wheels though.

anyone ever use the newer blazer spindles/ rotors? I see them for sale all the time for g-bodies....I believe they are 11"??

I added 12" b-car front brakes and used Hotchkis tubular upper arms. I discovered that GTA fronts would not fit the front of my 84GN since tire hit the outside of the wheelwell. The b-car spindle moves the bearing outboard somewhat! So I installed the rear GTA wheel on the front and it fits like a glove. So, install b-car front brakes and you can use the GTA fronts on the rear and the GTA rears on the front! Four (4) front GTA's will NOT fit this combo.
Conrad Carter
North Carolina

better check your springs I have the gta fronts on all corners and they do NOT rub at all even on back roads I even took my car to the BSR racing school and it never rubbed and i was hard on it.