You can type here any text you want

Brakes Operate Like A Switch. Either On Or Off.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
My car is an '87 T-Type Limited with 130k miles on the clock. Everything appears to be stock except for an after-market performance chip, wheels & tires. The brakes seem to work well overall for stopping the car. The problem is in bumper to bumper type driving conditions & easing into the brakes. They won't allow you to feather into the brakes gradually. There is a short amount of pedal travel that is almost dead pedal, then the brakes will apply much more than is required. I've been reading up on our brake systems, but have yet to read a post that describes the problem that I'm having.

Thanks
~JM~

Sounds like the rear brakes are out of adjustment or something sticking in there.. just a guess thought....will the rears lock up real easy when goin slow?

Would you describe the dead pedal as spongy? When was the last time you changed the fluid and bled the brakes properly? Do you have the newer style brass proportioning valve? it kind of sounds like you might have a couple of things going on. I'd flush and bleed the system first just because it should be done at least every two years to keep the PM happy and healthy. Check for a frozen calipers and rear drums. Just one being frozen might make it seem like everything is engaging too quickly when it might just be one wheel locking up with the others slightly behind.

a leaky axle seal will allow gear oil to get into the brake linings, which will cause that wheel to lockup really easy like that..
pull the rear wheels and pop off the drums.. look for any sign of oil coming out from around the axle.. if there is oil, check to see how much play there is in the axle bearing- any play at all will make the seal utterly pointless.. at this point, you need to figure out if it's just a bad bearing or if the bearing has worn a groove into the axle- which will require either an offset wheel bearing that rides on fresh metal or a new axle shaft.

Would you describe the dead pedal as spongy? When was the last time you changed the fluid and bled the brakes properly? Do you have the newer style brass proportioning valve? it kind of sounds like you might have a couple of things going on. I'd flush and bleed the system first just because it should be done at least every two years to keep the PM happy and healthy. Check for a frozen calipers and rear drums. Just one being frozen might make it seem like everything is engaging too quickly when it might just be one wheel locking up with the others slightly behind.

No telling when or if the system has ever been flushed out. I will look into this first. I believe all 4 brakes are operating correctly vs. one grabbing prior to the others. Braking feels balanced, it just doesn't provide much gentle braking when you first get on the pedal.

Thank you
~JM~

Usually when the brakes get grabby like that at low speeds, the fault lies in the rears 99% of time.

If you still have the PowerMaster, you have a dying accumulator ball

Back