You can type here any text you want

Brakes, who needs em.....Me...help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NY_GN

Planning next secret evil upgrade
Tried to put on two different vacuum brake units, both were crap. Now the car is sitting in the garage with no brakes. First unit had leak internal and second units rod was too far off, couldn't even shim it to work right.

Need brakes people!

What brakes did you go with, new or used

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I feel your pain it took me 3 before I got one to work good enough that i could live with now they work well enough to slide all four tires bought at orelly's for a 86 monte ss about 120.00

Tried to put on two different vacuum brake units, both were crap. Now the car is sitting in the garage with no brakes. First unit had leak internal and second units rod was too far off, couldn't even shim it to work right.

Need brakes people!
are you using the correct brake pedal the powermaster I believe has a different pin location and you need one from a g body with vacuum brakes

Above post is correct powermaster ha a `12 pin and vacuum set up has a slightly smaller pin also location is about one inch difference in height we offer new and rebuilt new comes with direcitons about locating pin on pedal for turbo one, rebiuilt comes with correct rod to go over the 1/2 pin and can be angled properly to fit the pin height for turbo pedal.

however issues pursist even with new and rebuilt. we also offer rebuilt powermasters which love them or hate them is what came on the car and keeps it original.
the other remaining choice is hydro boost which seems to be the way to go and what GM has used frequently since then. My recent research has discovered from my point of view many paths you can take going with hydro boost mostly base don how much you want to spend.

The most inexpensive way at least from what I have discovered is adopting the 1984 turbo regal format to your 1987 set up. That is one method we wil probably be marketing shortly as we round up all the needed parts involved.

However that format at least when we promote it should be done by a skilled mechanic.

Outside of putting your foot out the door to slow down your car those are the methods I am aware of.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Went with Hydroboost, quick and easy. Thanks for the input.

How do you like the hi boost launch? I know I love my hydroboost.
Glad you got it working.

I haven't tried to brake boost and launch yet. The brakes themselves are great; I wish I just listened to everyone sooner and went this route. I got the whole set-up for $200 and it went in pretty easy, except the pressure hose; took some creativity to get that one on.

After going thru powermaster and vacuum brakes I'd recommend the hydroboost to anyone, it's no sh*t night and day.

Did you bend the line as per the cedar crest labs instruction? Mine all went in pretty easy except wrastlin under the dash with the pedal. Not hard just uncomfortable for me.

I did bend it, but not enough, so when it came time to connect it I had to improvise. It wasn't that bad, but had to take a break before actually getting it on there.

Yeah, I put it on and took it off to adjust several times before I was happy with it.

If you don't mind me asking where and what parts did you get for $200? Looking to do hydro on my 68 Chevelle. Thanks

Probably asking him but mine included two pressure hoses, hb unit and a mc. I don't recall the exact amount but it was right around $200. You will also need a way to tee into the return and a line from hb to the tee. Yours will have a different pump so some "engineering" will have to take place to get it to fit. Unless you go to the pump with the remote reservoir.
What is on your car now?

I just have manual drum brakes on my Chevelle. I will upgrade to front discs and hydro.

I went to Advanced for the parts, the Booster was on sale for $120. Normal price was $160.

The list below is from an older post by Turbonut85. It's what I used and it worked perfectly. Hope I'm not breakin any copyright rules here.

Master Cylinder
Cardone 10-1984
Hydrobooster
Cardone 52-7211
Hose (pressure: pump to hydroboost)
Duralast 91660
Hose (pressure: hydroboost to gear)
Duralast 71187
Hose (return: 3/8" bulk transmission hose)
Gates
4'
T fitting
(standard 3/8" vacuum T)

Back