Broken Rocker Shaft

faster

Just broke my second rocker shaft in ten years on the white T in my Avatar. Just driving along 35 mph and it broke at the #1 intake. Never broke one a 455.

Anyone else ever break one?

Mikey

I have broke 5 stock shafts already, Now using TA hardened shafts, TA stud kit, and RJC rocker shaft braces:cool:

over tighten the bolts, heavier valve springs,I have always broke mine on a full pull never at low rpm driving. The last one broke in half:mad:. Going to a roller rocker set-up is best.

Yep, saw a car break the shafts with the RJCs on too. Money up and go roller rocker.:cool:

I broke one on a pass in BG. We inspected the other side and it had cracks at the bolt holes. 100lb springs and a 210-205 cam is what we were running.

Wonder why no one makes a solid shaft. I thought i remember seeing one available somewhere.

I use to break them all the time, until I found a fix. I take round stock and put it in each end past the bolt holes. Been running them for 10 years like this.

So whats the cause?

From what I've been told its because of low oil psi, and the last thing to get oil in the engine is the rockers.

Wonder why no one makes a solid shaft. I thought i remember seeing one available somewhere.

A solid shaft would be weaker due to the actual surface area (davidf knows what I'm saying).
We actually have new HD shafts here at gbodyparts. Also we offer the stock rockers and new retainers (plastic buttons), and we also have the rocker supports. It would be perfect for someone looking to keep a stock setup, but wants to still beat the hell outta it:cool:.

New sealed power rocker setup, RJC braces, GM torque spec, 92 Lb springs, never had an issue buzzing the motor to 6K.

Mitch

I'm using solid shafts from BOP Engineering. They're made from solid heat treated tool steel.

I use to break them all the time, until I found a fix. I take round stock and put it in each end past the bolt holes. Been running them for 10 years like this.

I just did that to fix the Zamboni throttle bar that keeps breaking.

Good idea, thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that for the rocker shafts. But that's why we have this forum.

Mikey

just broke my second rocker shaft in ten years on the white t in my avatar. Just driving along 35 mph and it broke at the #1 intake. Never broke one a 455.

Anyone else ever break one?

Mikey

hey here is a picture 0f my 455 rocker shaft that broke last year! But is was my first since rebuilt the 455 in 1986

Attachments

• NOV2008ROCKERSHAFT455.jpg
    NOV2008ROCKERSHAFT455.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 146