Buick GN front upper swing arm bolts

GNPL

Looking for the bolts for the upper front swing arm for the GN. I get a set from http://www.ebay.com/usr/motorcitymusclecar, but they are not correct (diameter of the bolts rod is smaller) .... Any advice where to get a correct ones ?

1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:
The spline diameter looks the same, is it the head size you are worried about ?

The spline diameter looks the same, is it the head size you are worried about ?
It is exactly the problem - the spline and the rod diameter is smaller, maybe I will take another, better picture ... The head size I don't care too much ;-)

The difference is not big, but the smaller bolt is not sitting tight in the hole...

20160511_233643_resized.jpg 20160511_233718_resized.jpg 20160511_233811_resized.jpg

You should be able to get them at a GM dealer.
OK, my fault - I forgot to mention that I am located in Europe.
But if that is so easy, maybe someone could help, get them and ship to me ?
I can PayPal or wire transfer all the costs.

I replaced all of the control arm bolts with GM parts when I rebuilt my front end, looks like you can get most of them through Ebay, Amazon, GMPartsDirect, etc. if you're overseas:

Front Upper Splined Bolts - 461854 (Each)
Front Upper Nuts - 11516073 (10 Pack)
Front Lower Bolts (Rear) - 11502603 (Each)
Front Lower Bolts (Front) - 11500952 (Each)
Lower nuts are same as uppers.

Hope this helps.

... looks like you can get most of them through Ebay, Amazon, GMPartsDirect, etc. if you're overseas
Yes, I got mine over ebay and they are not correct :-(
But I will check the numbers that you did provide.
Thanks a lot !
:)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. The numbers I gave are GM numbers, exactly what I purchased when I rebuilt my front end and the bolts were correct. They should work for you.

The difference is not big, but the smaller bolt is not sitting tight in the hole...

View attachment 279768 View attachment 279769 View attachment 279770

Anybody knows what should be correct diameter of the bolt rod ? My old bolt is 0,485" and the new I get is 0,467". I would like to check, as I am also considering the fact that maybe someone in the past drill the holes to a bigger size ?
I did order second set of bolts at another supplier, as you advice, but it will take a time till I will get them here in Europe.
In the meanwhile I get in contact with my first supplier, with the info that these bolts are not fitting the GN 87, so he will correct the listing so others will not be disappointed .... But I must know for sure.
Thank you for all the help.

It was common at one time to drill the holes out for a 1/2" replacement so you might try a bolt from a hardware store just to check.
Doubtful you will find a splined/knurled bolt at a hardware store, not a great idea unless you have tubular arms and can access, or are wiling to tack weld it in.

Doubtful you will find a splined/knurled bolt at a hardware store, not a great idea unless you have tubular arms and can access, or are wiling to tack weld it in.
Welding them in place is what they did in some cases but when you had someone that didn't know what they were doing it was a quick fix. Not a great fix, but it kept the car moving.

Welding them in place is what they did in some cases but when you had someone that didn't know what they were doing it was a quick fix. Not a great fix, but it kept the car moving.

Agreed, it has been a fix I have used in emergencies, and actually it helps to have a removable bolt on the SS Impalas to prevent having to pull the steering shaft for arm removal. If using tubular arms I would definitely use a new grade 8 fine thread bolt, less the knurl.

I got GM#461854 bolts and these are OK !
You can see at the picture the difference ....
I will inform the supplier of InlineTube bolts, that they are not fitting the Buick, even if they listed so.

Thanks to all of you for advices and replies :).

Attachments

• 20160604_180032_resized.jpg
    20160604_180032_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 131