Buick Grand National Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGACY_GN

When I was at the Buick Nationals at Bowling Green in 1991 there was a Grand Natinional that had been made into a convertible. Has anyone ever seen it or another one? Looked real good and well done. Back seat lost a lot of room on each side for the boot but none the less, looked great.

I've seen a pic of it with the top down, it was sitting in a cleared driveway with lot's of snow all around. It looked like he pulled out of the garage just for pics.

I saw one in Puerto Rico back in 95 when i was over there and it did look pretty nice.

John :smile:

There was one at a Buick dealer in chicago back in 89. I looked at it and it looked good with the top down but with the top up it was a different story.I asked anyway and the dealer said they were done in California.I dont know if the guy was lying to me when he told me 9,600 for the conversion:eek: .Thats just about what I payed for my car.If I lived in cali I would probably do it but in illinois the weather sucks.It is an eye catcher for sure.

i don't think a G body looks right as a convertible- with the top down, it's not so bad, but they just don't look right with the top up.
i think most places used the top assembly from a different GM car that was available as a convertible i nteh 80's- Riviera or El Dorado or something like that.
i'm still waiting for someone to build a GN aerocoupe. i think that would look pretty killer.. i know there was one guy not too long ago that was threatening to do it with some parts he scored very, very cheap from a junkyard MC aerocoupe..

convertible gn

I met a guy from st louis that moved here to the tampa area with one of supposed two factory vert tr's. One was his gn/gnx clone and a white 87 T. He said it was done in florida in 88. He said it was a factory dealer option but who knows. He said the car had well over 250,000 miles.

I met a guy from st louis that moved here to the tampa area with one of supposed two factory vert tr's. One was his gn/gnx clone and a white 87 T. He said it was done in florida in 88. He said it was a factory dealer option but who knows. He said the car had well over 250,000 miles.

Yep, Winston owned the one from St. Louis.... i've got pics around here somewhere..... i think CoachBuilders [?] in Florida did the conversion... they are the same people that did the drop top challenger [i think]

as promised...

GNX000.jpg

Dodge Challenger Convertible

When I was at the Buick Nationals at Bowling Green in 1991 there was a Grand Natinional that had been made into a convertible. Has anyone ever seen it or another one? Looked real good and well done. Back seat lost a lot of room on each side for the boot but none the less, looked great.

We have one that was running around here in the little village of Gibsonburg Ohio but have not seen it yet this year. I dont think that it was a GN but a limited. It is white. No rag top just gets stored in a garage in the winter.

Yea, doesn't look right with top up. Maybe if you chopped it, it would look better. I'm trying to decide on my own GN if I want a moonroof, t-tops or convertable.

87 GN Convertible

Hello,

This is Winston the owner of the 87 Buick Grand National Convertible. Yes, I did live in St. Louis and now reside in Tampa, Florida. This car is very unique since it was originally a sunroof before being cut into a convertible in 1988. The original owner decided to make it into a convertible after seeing a white 87 white T-type convertible that was made by Coachbuilders. The dealership charged the original owner 10K to have the car made into a power-top convertible on a seperate invoice. The body was taken off the frame and reinforced in the floor in the trunk and in various places.

Note: This is the same car that is seen in Kirbans book as a rare GN. Also, in the 1980's Coachbuilders only cut 1 T-type and 1 GN.

Hello,

This is Winston the owner of the 87 Buick Grand National Convertible. Yes, I did live in St. Louis and now reside in Tampa, Florida. This car is very unique since it was originally a sunroof before being cut into a convertible in 1988. The original owner decided to make it into a convertible after seeing a white 87 white T-type convertible that was made by Coachbuilders. The dealership charged the original owner 10K to have the car made into a power-top convertible on a seperate invoice. The body was taken off the frame and reinforced in the floor in the trunk and in various places.

Note: This is the same car that is seen in Kirbans book as a rare GN. Also, in the 1980's Coachbuilders only cut 1 T-type and 1 GN.

Cool but what about some pictures
exterior and interior.
top down
top up

Status
Not open for further replies.