You can type here any text you want

Buick vs. Ford race in Noble question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

coldair85GN

fast85GN
has anyone ever considered building up a turbo'd Lt1 stroker in a Roadmaster?
me and some buddies were talking about it at the race and were wondering if its ever been considered. There are some STOUT Impala's running around and they have the same layout as a Roadmaster.

It's gotta be Buick powered, so I don't think they would let an LT1 roadmaster run.

I was looking at an Impala board last night and I didnt realize there were that many of them running fast:eek:
Theres a TON of Impala's and Roadmasters with various upgrades that are running anywhere from low 13's all the way into the single digits. And yeah...the Roadmaster came from the factory with the LT1 so nobody could bitch about it.

I think Buick powered means just that. Otherwise there would have been a Roadmaster or two at the event.

I still think we need to get a couple of Regals with SFI 455's and add a little turbo. Notice no 455 at noble was beaten.

I shoulda lost. Simple as that. Dude had me covered but shrapnelled his headgaskets. What really needs to happen at Noble is guys have to stop pushing through the lights and tripping the Red eye.

I believe and repeat the mantra: You can't win if you never get off the line. I'd rather back down the boost a bit(I've driven my Turbo Buicks at events as much as my Big Block) on the line to be safe than risk a red bulb and fouling my chances away. I think guys weren't taking into account the cool weather making the cars boost harder and quicker on spool up pushing the front tires.

IDK.

All I know is we need more cars and we need to stop redlighting and we can win easily. Our lack of turnout meant we had quite a few field fillers that hurt us(I hate to be mean here so I'm sorry if it offends anyone driving a "slower" car). The Fords basically threw ou their slow guys and got to put stronger cars against our bottom qualifiers. I counted 18 losses to redlights and losses in the first 8 rounds since we had less cars than the Ford camp.

We only lost by 12. The math is easy.

I know this is supposed to be a fun event, and it surely is, but it is also a competition and I hate losing to a bunch of cars I know we can beat.

Lets all make an effort this year to support this event and tell everyone to show up. Get the Buick count up and not only will the event be even better since there will be more races but our chances will improve due to just plain odds.

I shoulda lost. Simple as that. Dude had me covered but shrapnelled his headgaskets. What really needs to happen at Noble is guys have to stop pushing through the lights and tripping the Red eye.

I believe and repeat the mantra: You can't win if you never get off the line. I'd rather back down the boost a bit(I've driven my Turbo Buicks at events as much as my Big Block) on the line to be safe than risk a red bulb and fouling my chances away. I think guys weren't taking into account the cool weather making the cars boost harder and quicker on spool up pushing the front tires.

IDK.

All I know is we need more cars and we need to stop redlighting and we can win easily. Our lack of turnout meant we had quite a few field fillers that hurt us(I hate to be mean here so I'm sorry if it offends anyone driving a "slower" car). The Fords basically threw ou their slow guys and got to put stronger cars against our bottom qualifiers. I counted 18 losses to redlights and losses in the first 8 rounds since we had less cars than the Ford camp.

We only lost by 12. The math is easy.

I know this is supposed to be a fun event, and it surely is, but it is also a competition and I hate losing to a bunch of cars I know we can beat.

Lets all make an effort this year to support this event and tell everyone to show up. Get the Buick count up and not only will the event be even better since there will be more races but our chances will improve due to just plain odds.

Excellent point. I think Ford had us down by 9-1 at the beginning, starting off with that 22 second Buick didn't help much either. Nice looking car, but he needs to just show it off and not race it. Saw a couple TRs running 15's also :eek: , we need to help those guys out after the qualifying passes, none of these cars should be that slow.

After the 9-1 Ford assault the turbobuick cavalry showed up and took the lead 20-10, which means we pretty much took out 20 straight Fords and almost ALL of their 13-11 second cars. If we could have given our fast cars the lead we SHOULD have been able to get, we would have had them.

Of course I can't talk, I brought my wife's mustang with me because I don't have a trailer. I thought about racing hers and losing on purpose ;) but that's just wrong...We need to get more vehicles there than they do so that we can bust their Powerstrokes and that nasty SHO Taurus down from the getgo, our ultra slow cars can make passes for fun, and by the time the 10 second cars roll around the battle is over.

In any case I am bringing my GN next year if I have to drag it with my bare hands. I had a blast but I was itching for a kill all day long :redface:

If I could have driven my 98 Z71 for the Buick count I would have..I did have a Buick motor in the bed:biggrin: but I dont think that would have gone over well.

Maybe I can make it over next year. Working on getting my 87 into 12 sec. territory in next several mos. Don't know how much I could help. VORTECH you're the closest person I've seen on these forums that live nearby. Dumas here.

i think next year im gonna bring a ford with me to race also, & just hand a race to team buick...its no worse than some of the sandbagging & other stunts some of the ford guys try.....and dammit guys QUIT RED-LIGHTING!!!

also buick has the LS series engine in some of their cars..so why not a turbo LS engine in a gn.

actually its gm corporate engine..& imo if its in a buick then its buick...if that where the case then TTA's shouldn't be allowed to race @ noble

Maybe I can make it over next year. Working on getting my 87 into 12 sec. territory in next several mos. Don't know how much I could help. VORTECH you're the closest person I've seen on these forums that live nearby. Dumas here.

A 12 second car would help out the team for sure. Serves multiple purposes: helps our car count, which means if there are more Fords again next year, another slow one of them has to race...a 12 second car showing up also pushes every single car on our side that is slower down the ladder, giving them a better chance to win their races, and most simply, bringing a 12 second car means you are probably gonna win your race.

I could count the 12 second Fords on my left hand, they were either 14s or 10s and better :cool:

Hottrawd there are a bunch of Amarillo guys that went, and I know of a few that are on this forum also. You know Bones from Dumas? He has an 8 second T Type with a stage 2, it's a baaaaaad car :eek: . He was there this year, and I am sure he will be there next year. Come out and play, it's a blast. I am hoping to have mine in the low 12s or high 11s if I can get my 4.1 together and holding boost :cool:

Yeah i graduated with Bones, and visit with him often. His shop is about block and half from my house. Yes he does have fairly quick car lol.

I think Buick powered means just that. Otherwise there would have been a Roadmaster or two at the event.

I still think we need to get a couple of Regals with SFI 455's and add a little turbo. Notice no 455 at noble was beaten.

If it came in a buick it should be fine. They let powerstrokes race just because they come from the factory but that motor is 100% international.

If it came in a buick it should be fine. They let powerstrokes race just because they come from the factory but that motor is 100% international.

Ooooooooh good call! Very good point. So we could get away with doing a nasty stroker turbo LT1 in one of those Roadmasters indeed.....Of course it would go faster in a smaller/better looking car :eek:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it has to be "Buick powered". Meaning, the cylinder head design is the most dominant factor in the type of engine it has. I don't think that the roadmaster fits the intent of this race. It only sort of makes sense to let it though.

As for the diesel trucks, maybe Ford doesn't literally make the engine, but it's definitely "Ford" wouldn't you agree? In the roadmaster, I think we can all agree it's a chevy.

I know this doesn't completely sound 100% clear, because GM mixed and matched cars and engines, but I hope you'll understand why ok.

As for the diesel trucks, maybe Ford doesn't literally make the engine, but it's definitely "Ford" wouldn't you agree? .

Sorry, John, but I totally disagree. The powerstroke diesel is an international motor 100% nothing ford about it. Just putting the motor in a ford does not make it a ford motor. Just like you say that the roadmaster with an lt1 is not a buick motor. If one is ok the other should be.

John Plog

John, no sorry's in disagreeing.. but maybe this helps, is the powerstroke diesel in any other vehicle besides a ford? I have no idea.

That's, to me, the ultimate difference inthe Buick with LT1 and Ford with powerstroke.

Believe me.. I would want to move our ladder down with a turbo v8.. but just doesn't fit the intent.

Back