You can type here any text you want

Burned harness.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

datquick6

I was doing some work on my intake and took off the fuel rail. I noticed my passenger side injector harness was burnt up pretty good, mostly #4 inj. The connecters seem to have melted to the injectors. Both male and female connectors are melted from the harness. I also noticed the knock sensor connector melted pretty good. Ill be replacing all burnt wires and connectors but before i do i want to know what caused it? Was it contact with heat? A short? I dont want this to happen to the new harness. Any info and suggestions would be helpfull.

My guess, you are correct, as there's no direct exhaust heat in those areas.
Time to get out the wiring schematics and see where this may have originated.
Both those items are linked to the ECM. I'd not restart the engine until I checked it out.

Well the good thing is im doing an ac delete and wire tuck so i have most harness exposed. What wires should i be looking at? The + feed from the ecm? Any relays connected to the injector harness? Weird thing is i never really had a problem with the car running bad. Ill post some pics if it helps.

Heres a couple pictures. Would it be safe to say we can rule out a short. I looked through the harness and didnt see any burned wires. Plus u can see even the L shaped look is melted. What heat source around the intake can burn wires? Ive seen and heard guys run the harness under the intake without burning their harness. Any one?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    857.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    828.7 KB · Views: 87
That harness was more than likely in an engine compartment fire. Replace and throw it out.

What J said^^^^.
Being that's a converted h/a car, it may have been converted after the fire.
How long have you had the car? Did you do the conversion?
Are there indications of heat elsewhere? Inner fenders, inside firewall, fresh paint on cowl, etc??
Interior stink?

Ive had the car for about a year now but jst recently started to work on it. Drove it from time time with no issues at all. The car is a 87 limited converted into a GN so no chance of a swap. Theres really no signs of any fire besides the fact that the hood pad was pretty beat but wasnt burned. Ive pulled almost the whole harness out and havent seen any connecter burnt besides the ones i mentioned. Everything looks to have its original paint besides the valve covers which are painted black. The firewall has been rattlecaned black but i can still see the original color. the injectors have been replaced at some point and are now upgraded 60's . So maybe there was a small fire there that didnt really do much damage besides those wires. I just want to rule out the chance of any heat source besides a fire that can melt the new parts.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Definitely external fire , no short . If shorted all connections would be burned , not the outside of the connector. Plus more then likely it would have blown a fuse before melting the outside of the connector .
Get a injector harness from Caspers 25% off ..

Definitely external fire , no short . If shorted all connections would be burned , not the outside of the connector. Plus more then likely it would have blown a fuse before melting the outside of the connector .
Get a injector harness from Caspers 25% off ..

Thas exactly what i ordered. Just have to wait till it gets here. Thanks for the help guys. Im goin to replace all the connectors and wires. Ill let you guys know im anything new comes up.

Back