You can type here any text you want

Busted Wheel !!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
These are the wheels I was planning to order this year for my GN. I decided not to because of this very reason. They look awesome in my opinion but how comfortable would you feel going through a corner with these on your car?:eek:

These are 360 Forged Mesh 8's

Attachments

• 360%20forged%20Mesh%208%20Carbon%20Fiber.jpg
    360%20forged%20Mesh%208%20Carbon%20Fiber.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 283
Ouch that sucks...for a second I thought this happened to your car til I saw the photos!:eek:
I didn't realize how it sounded until afterwords... Anyways, you probably won't see this happen to CCW wheels. There has been A LOT of people pushing their cars Very Hard on a road course's for many years with them and I'm yet to see anything like this happen. The owner of that Camaro lives right here in TN only 20 miles from me and is an acquaintance of mine through another friend. Very nice guy and I would be willing to bet something will be done by the wheel manufacture. That is a current magazine car of Camaro Performers magazine... :eek:

Using your aftermarket parts on the street is one thing but when running them on a autocross or road course, that is where you will find the weak parts of a set up and what parts work and what parts are junk! It's all part of it when your at this stage...

Scot W.

Using your aftermarket parts on the street is one thing but when running them on a autocross or road course, that is where you will find the weak parts of a set up and what parts work and what parts are junk! It's all part of it when your at this stage...

This is the true point of this thread, IMO. Not that a wheel broke but identifying the best parts for the application.

Go ask a 3th/4th Gen F-body owner if they'd consider putting BMR parts on their Auto-X/RR car; most would give an emphatic: no. I wouldn't run parts known for breaking under high loads either.

You cannot assume that racing is risk free... because you will get burned by your own ignorance.

I looked at this again this morning... This isn't just the case of the wheel not having enough material by the hub. It's a low cycle fatigue crack. The loading is inducing an area of high stress concentration in a small area on the wheel (we are talking on the order of a mm or smaller), and the repeated load/unload cycle during racing is nucleating a crack.

For one, the edges of the wheel spokes are sharp without any radiusing. When you load to a point, your area available to absorb stress technically approaches 0, and the stress approaches infinity (while that seems physically impossible, it's the concept of stress equaling force/area... radii are necessary to distribute loads). It's been a while since I've messed with them, but most of the high end wheels like Fikse tend to chamfer or radius all their spokes.

I'm sure those wheels have been ran through FEA software and analyzed (a high end wheel company would be ludicrous not to). However, FEA is only as good as its operator, and if the mesh wasn't refined finely around the edges of the spokes, it won't pick up the concentrations.

Just my .02 worth from failures I've seen... I've done some failure analysis simulation on aluminum wheels for grad school projects.

I have seen CCW crack on Danny Popp 's ZOG road race car he use Forgelines now but he abuses the hell out of his equipment .

I have seen CCW crack on Danny Popp 's ZOG road race car he use Forgelines now but he abuses the hell out of his equipment .
Danny Popp was still on CCW's at the last RTTH6 event! ;)

Here is a video of just how rough Danny is and if CCW's have held up to this abuse as long as they have on this car, I'm a believer! This is on Race rubber too!!
CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO WATCH VIDEO!!

Attachments

• Danny Popp.jpg
    Danny Popp.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 217
I looked at this again this morning... This isn't just the case of the wheel not having enough material by the hub. It's a low cycle fatigue crack. The loading is inducing an area of high stress concentration in a small area on the wheel (we are talking on the order of a mm or smaller), and the repeated load/unload cycle during racing is nucleating a crack.

For one, the edges of the wheel spokes are sharp without any radiusing. When you load to a point, your area available to absorb stress technically approaches 0, and the stress approaches infinity (while that seems physically impossible, it's the concept of stress equaling force/area... radii are necessary to distribute loads). It's been a while since I've messed with them, but most of the high end wheels like Fikse tend to chamfer or radius all their spokes.

I'm sure those wheels have been ran through FEA software and analyzed (a high end wheel company would be ludicrous not to). However, FEA is only as good as its operator, and if the mesh wasn't refined finely around the edges of the spokes, it won't pick up the concentrations.

Just my .02 worth from failures I've seen... I've done some failure analysis simulation on aluminum wheels for grad school projects.

Ca you put that in english, or draw it out in crayon? :confused:

Just kidding, thank you very much for the lessons there, that is interesting stuff.

Danny Popp was still on CCW's at the last RTTH6 event! ;)

Here is a video of just how rough Danny is and if CCW's have held up to this abuse as long as they have on this car, I'm a believer! This is on Race rubber too!!
CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO WATCH VIDEO!!

i can't help but notice how beefy those wheels are around the hub area.. they just look a lot stronger than the wheel that broke on the Camaro.
might not looks as sleek sitting still, but the car sure looks better at speed when it still has all 4 wheels safely attached to the car.

Back