You can type here any text you want

Buyers Beware!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter OldGrayII
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
O

OldGrayII

O.K., heres the deal, late in Feb. I bought this spotless, well cared for 62,000mi Turbo T from the "Second" owner. The first owner was an older guy in his 70's that basically babied the car and kept it stored & well cared for, the "Second" owner purchaced the car in Nov. of last year (A board member 'Name withheld'), now on the plus side he went over the car, put on an ATR full 3" exhaust, 3" THDP, took the car over to Jack (Cotton) who did the rear main seal, valve springs, and replaced a bunch of sensors (that I'm sure weren't bad anyhow, but oh well..).
Now this guy, was NEVER using any kind of scan tool, and, as seen from his posts here, was having MASSIVE overboost problems that he wrote in about, I believe the actuator hoses develped a leak or even popped off!! With the unrestricted exhaust and the ORIGINAL 16 year old fuel pump & a dirty fuel filter its a wonder he didn't massivlly blow both headgaskets, but when I was going over the car the oil looked good, no perkuation in the overflow, and of course my laptop was DEAD so I had no scan tool, and the motor was quiet and idled and reved good, the rest of the car is so mint its really a mute point, BUT, to make a long story short, a month and a half later, I noticed the level dropping slightly on the overflow, but the oil LOOKS perfect and there are ZERO other signs of a blown headgasket, but, theres also ZERO leakage anywhere either, hmm..... So I send out the Oil to Oil Anylizers to check for coolant in it, SURE ENOUGH!! Theres TRACE elements of Coolant(Dexcool from previous owner) in the oil!!!!!

***** HEADGASKET TIME!!!! Don't bother me this weekend!! :)

I meant to add, and the reason I posted, is that I'm the 3rd person I know that had bought a low mileage TR recently, that was mint, BUT, had the ORIGINAL pump, and had a SLIGHTLY BLOWN headgasket! Its just such a shame that theres STILL folks out there that don't konw to replace that 16 year old fuel pump FIRST!!!

Quick question.............. Who did the analysis, and what did it cost you? I need to do the same check (oil and water) on my boat anchor.

Thx,

I went through Oil Analyzers Inc. 715-395-0222, call them and tell them you need a sample bottle, they'll send it out postage paid, should be about $19.00!!!

Originally posted by FlyinGN
boy, the Sunoco's gonna have the bay lights on late tonight :)

Yea, I'll be doin this one in my own garage, as I have to flush out the graphite, send out the heads for magnufluxing, ect. Should be fun :)

Frank, did Herb ever do his Headgasket R & R??

Originally posted by OldGrayII

Frank, did Herb ever do his Headgasket R & R??

Not yet....but I am working my butt off to get $ together for it!!!!

Brian....When I looked at the car the Boost line at the compressor side of the Turbo was Dry rotted off....maybe this was the cause of the headgasket blowing?

I feel bad that you bought the car not knowing it had a blown headgasket...but on the positive side of it you can now clean everything up, and make it immaculate!

Wrong CAR!! Herb, Thanks, but I never bought that car! The one I bought was a little more expensive, & came from Hartford Conneticut from a board member (Crow44, he was NEW to TRs to say the least, he bought the car from the 77 year old orig. owner back in Nov.) but in MUCH MUCH better overall shape (Notwithstanding the SLIGHTLY blown headgasket that 90% of non-TR folks wouldn't have noticed until it got much worse).

Anyhow.. if you can do me a small favor, after I'm done my HG job at the end of the week, I'll do yours-We'll work something out!! Give me a shout 215-335-3999!!

Take Care Herb!

Originally posted by OldGrayII
O.K., heres the deal, late in Feb. I bought this spotless, well cared for 62,000mi Turbo T from the "Second" owner. The first owner was an older guy in his 70's that basically babied the car and kept it stored & well cared for, the "Second" owner purchaced the car in Nov. of last year (A board member 'Name withheld'), now on the plus side he went over the car, put on an ATR full 3" exhaust, 3" THDP, took the car over to Jack (Cotton) who did the rear main seal, valve springs, and replaced a bunch of sensors (that I'm sure weren't bad anyhow, but oh well..).
Now this guy, was NEVER using any kind of scan tool, and, as seen from his posts here, was having MASSIVE overboost problems that he wrote in about, I believe the actuator hoses develped a leak or even popped off!! With the unrestricted exhaust and the ORIGINAL 16 year old fuel pump & a dirty fuel filter its a wonder he didn't massivlly blow both headgaskets, but when I was going over the car the oil looked good, no perkuation in the overflow, and of course my laptop was DEAD so I had no scan tool, and the motor was quiet and idled and reved good, the rest of the car is so mint its really a mute point, BUT, to make a long story short, a month and a half later, I noticed the level dropping slightly on the overflow, but the oil LOOKS perfect and there are ZERO other signs of a blown headgasket, but, theres also ZERO leakage anywhere either, hmm..... So I send out the Oil to Oil Anylizers to check for coolant in it, SURE ENOUGH!! Theres TRACE elements of Coolant(Dexcool from previous owner) in the oil!!!!!

***** HEADGASKET TIME!!!! Don't bother me this weekend!! :)
oldgray, i was the third owner which makes you owner # 4

Back