Buying a 87 GN

DoctorWidowMker

Hello,

I have the opportunity to purchase an 87 GN with 104k miles. It's completely original from the factory with new paint & interior. Just wanted to get a few pointers on what to look for up close or ask about etc before I make a bad purchase. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks

It all depends on condition. I assume it runs and drives and is complete. Educate youself on the range of values and assess the condition. 104k is not as important as condition. What the underside look like? Under the hood? Make sure its a real gn look for the trunk decklid option/codes sticker. Hows the interior? Aftermarket is pretty good for these cars. This is a good site to get educated.

Also these cars are not that hard to come by so keep in mind buying a $10k one only to possibly shatter your hopes and having to sink another 10-20k into it to make it right is worse than buying right, right up front unless you like tweaking.

Rust in all the folds and seams, undercoating?...what's it hiding?, receipts, who did the work?, before and during pics, what's the history?, original is nice for some reasons but does it have proper updates, these cars were finicky when new and haven't gotten better with age, they don't suffer pissing around...you will suffer. Probably why many of them have low miles, they were parked for being a PITA.

This one has high mileage so it was possibly a good driver or looked after but check the engine thoroughly.

G80 posi code is a big one imo.

Doc,
T-tops or not?

Check the b-pillars for signs of cracking and look at the roof closely for waves. Since the frames are kind of weak , for a lack,of a better word, these are signs of being " ridden hard". If this isn't present and it has that many miles, it was probably wasn't abused.