Buying first gun, need recommendations.

klrv6

Have a burnout party!!!
My wife and I are looking to purchase our first set of guns. We have never owned or even shot any firearms. I need recommendations for a shot gun, hand guns and one that is very portable to carry. These will be for defense and not hunting. What is the best bang for the buck? (sorry for the pun).

We will be taking conceal carry classes and maybe some other types of gun safety classes.

Hand gun a Glock or a Springfield both are very easy to use and reliable;) Shotgun i use Remington 870 and handgun the Springfield XD-45

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for the shotgun. Both are fairly cheap and super easy to use. Also both the 870 and 500 have huge aftermarket followings. They are the SBC of the gun world. As for a pistol, Glock's are user friendly, but generally have a large grip which can be uncomfortable for people with smaller hands. The Springfield as mentioned is a decent weapon. I personally favor the Sig Sauer's. Very compact and ergonomic. I Carry a Glock 21 everyday, I also carried a Sig Sauer (DAK P-229) while I was in the Coast Guard Reserves.

As far as shot guns go I really like my Mossberg 590, I also have a Saiga 12.
The mossberg is a great reliable home defence gun. Its a 9 shot pump action with a short barrel. I have a pistol grip on mine, but you can put any kind of stock on it.
The siaga is a Semi Auto 12 gauge based off the AK made is Russia. I have a 20rd drum and several 12rd magazines for it. Its a awsome shotgun and very fun to shoot.
I love the saiga, but it would really shine if your house was under attack by a large group of zombies.

Great Vid someone posted shooting a siaga 12:
YouTube - Saiga 12 Shotgun, MD-20 Drum: Pallet Destruction

Unless you and the wife are going to practice alot, as far as carry goes look at the new Smith Bodyguard series .38 revolver.

I recommend revolvers any time a female is involved. Just to many things involved with autos and no experience.

No Jams
No safety
No clip
Easier to acquire and hit a target

Point and shoot.

If you do not spend time training with a automatic they can be worthless in a hurry.

GEEZE.....ALL you gun NUTS on here are scarin' me. Next you'll say that EVERYONE should own a gun. Just last night in my town, one of those EVIL black assault rifles jumped off the rack it was stored on and went walking down the street looking for someone to shoot. I mean that is the only reason guns are made is to shoot some poor little kid. I know this because I read it on the news paper all the time. I also know that the reason Rosie O'Donnel is over weight is because she has un licensed forks in her kitchen drawer?? All my mis spelled words when I was in college were caused by my unregistered pencils, too. Somebody needs to take care of us. HELP!

That was OBVIOUSLY not how I feel. but back to the original question. I agree with the above suggestions. (not that "I" would own such evil things.;))

Go to your local gun range and shoot EVERYTHING that they have. Then choose what YOU like the best. Revolver is best for newbies, because there is less chance of misfire. If it does, just pull the trigger again. If an auto misfires, you MUST be able to clear it and keep going. Hard to do when the Stuff is hitting the fan. Home......12ga 00Buck Remington or if money is an issue, use a Mossberg . (clanky but they work) Pump is probably best, because even if the bad guy has never heard a 12 gauge rack a round, they will KNOW what it is the first time they hear it, just like a rattlesnake.;) Just my 2 cents.

has anyone shot the "Judge" Revolver? I seen a bunch of them at the last gun show, they seem kind of neat. It shoots 410 shotgun shells and 45cal.

Saiga 12 is a BAD gun a buddy just bought one and he has the 20 round wow you can destroy a house in 10 seconds almost. He brought it over to try it out and i personally think they will ban it soon after seeing what it does:eek::eek:

I have concealed carried for years. I bought a S&W M&P .40 compact a few yrs ago for carry. it is light weight and packs a punch but it's still too bulky. I got a S&W M&P .38 snub nose hamerless airlight last yr and it's the best carry gun hands down. I have a pocket holster and can carry in my front pocket of any pants/shorts I wear. It looks like a wallet and If god forbid u are ever robbed you can pull out that wallet and use it! it's super light you can target practice w regular .38 and carry w .38P (more powder) it is in my opinion the best carry gun available. I recomend 1 for u and ur wife. I have 3 friends that have purchased them since. You need a gun that's comfortable or you won't carry it. Guys w big .45 and other large frame auto's won't get out of the holster before it's too late. Plus revolvers never jam!!!

If you've never shot a gun, spend some time at your local gun range. Many of them will allow you to rent handguns if you buy the ammo from them.

A .38 revolver is hard to beat for the novice, they are small, reliable and easy to control while firing and they never jam. If you want one to carry, buy one that is hammerless. The hammerless ones will not snag on your clothing or on the "stuff" in your wife's purse......some even come with a pink grip for the wifey!!

A Remington 870 with 18" barrel or Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel are both great home defense weapons. Load them with some 00 buckshot and you'll have a very intimidating weapon.

Unless you and the wife are going to practice alot, as far as carry goes look at the new Smith Bodyguard series .38 revolver.

I recommend revolvers any time a female is involved. Just to many things involved with autos and no experience.

No Jams
No safety
No clip
Easier to acquire and hit a target

Point and shoot.

If you do not spend time training with a automatic they can be worthless in a hurry.

X a Million!!!!

This should have been the first reply but insted a Glock was mentioned.. :rolleyes:

A .38 Colt detective special for those "up close and personal" moments.
Mossberg Maverick 88, 18 1/4" barrel. # 6 shot/low brass shells, 5 in the tube, 1 in the chamber. [A shotgun, where "close enuf" is just right! If the shot doesn't get them, the muzzle blast will!]
The sound of the slide being jacked is a sound every punk knows....

Got my .38 #642 to carry in the summer and it hides REAL well. Can't even tell it's in my shorts pocket.

I also have a Walther P99 .40 as well. I prefer to carry my .38. I put a shot in a target at 25' as well as I can with the .40 so it will get the job done with the +P rounds although there is only 5 of them. If I have to fight a army I am dead and you probably will be with a auto as well, but that's about the only argument to carry a automatic. I keep my automatic on me when I am driving. There is no question you need to be comfortable when you are carrying or you will not do it as much as you should.

No Jams A quality gun with quality ammo won't jam
No safetyGlocks, and many personal defense guns don't have safeties.
No clip IT'S CALLED A MAGAZINE!!!
Easier to acquire and hit a target Really??

Point and shoot.

If you do not spend time training with a SEMIautomatic they can be worthless in a hurry.

I understand what you're saying about a revolver being more reliable but your reasoning is seriously flawed. I don't care for Glocks or own one, but they do make a very good carry gun. I carry a semi-auto for two reasons...It holds more ammo (to keep you in the fight longer), and IMO the .40 S&W round is the perfect CCW round.

I understand what you're saying about a revolver being more reliable but your reasoning is seriously flawed. I don't care for Glocks or own one, but they do make a very good carry gun. I carry a semi-auto for two reasons...It holds more ammo (to keep you in the fight longer), and IMO the .40 S&W round is the perfect CCW round.

That's funny I do own several Glocks, 23 .40 and 19 great for some.
But as a first Cary or joint use with out lots of first hand use/practice it is not the wisest choice.

O and Glocks have trigger safeties.....as most Semi auto's have some type of safety

Read what the OP is asking.......:rolleyes:

That's funny I do own several Glocks, 23 .40 and 19 great for some.
But as a first Cary or joint use with out lots of first hand use/practice it is not the wisest choice.

Read what the OP is asking.......:rolleyes:

I did read what the OP is asking.:rolleyes:

I don't think that the fact that they are inexperienced is a reason not to buy a good semi-auto. I've got over 1K rounds through the FN40 that I carry every day, and I've had two FTEs and that was when the gun was brand new, and the slide spring was still too tight. If I wasn't 100% sure of the reliability of the gun, I wouldn't carry it.

I understand people have eject issues with some Glocks, but from what I understand, it's because they have too loose of a grip, or shoot limp-wristed.

To answer the OP..you cant go wrong with an 870 or a Mossberg 500.

I purchased a Springfield XD9 last year to carry and really like it. I originally wanted a revolver to carry, but the XD carries well, and is rugged as hell if you read all of the field tests it goes though. Had a S&W 22 handgun for my first gun, great for target practice, but a 22 probably won't do much damage to anybody that's coming after you.

How many rounds has your wife put through it?????????

Would you want her in the middle of the night to have to pick it up and wonder if the magazine is in it. If there is a round in the pipe or do I need to cycle it..... Oh,**** is the safety on???????? Now deal with 2 distinct
different trigger pulls and still stay on target.....:confused::confused:

Or point and click.......

and Gunslinger I agree with you 100% for a trained or working person....

1st time gun buyer

GEEZE.....ALL you gun NUTS on here are scarin' me. Next you'll say that EVERYONE should own a gun. Just last night in my town, one of those EVIL black assault rifles jumped off the rack it was stored on and went walking down the street looking for someone to shoot. I mean that is the only reason guns are made is to shoot some poor little kid. I know this because I read it on the news paper all the time. I also know that the reason Rosie O'Donnel is over weight is because she has un licensed forks in her kitchen drawer?? All my mis spelled words when I was in college were caused by my unregistered pencils, too. Somebody needs to take care of us. HELP!

That was OBVIOUSLY not how I feel. but back to the original question. I agree with the above suggestions. (not that "I" would own such evil things.;))

Go to your local gun range and shoot EVERYTHING that they have. Then choose what YOU like the best. Revolver is best for newbies, because there is less chance of misfire. If it does, just pull the trigger again. If an auto misfires, you MUST be able to clear it and keep going. Hard to do when the Stuff is hitting the fan. Home......12ga 00Buck Remington or if money is an issue, use a Mossberg . (clanky but they work) Pump is probably best, because even if the bad guy has never heard a 12 gauge rack a round, they will KNOW what it is the first time they hear it, just like a rattlesnake.;) Just my 2 cents.

Your commentary made my day :biggrin: It's the damn truth what you said. Stupid politicians and ignorant people want to ban guns because they get it in their head that a gun kills people.

I agree keep it simple. I don't care for the glock with the trigger safety. I prefer a double action and would go with a smith, sig, ruger, h&k, etc. I prefer a .40 caliber semi auto or a .357 revolver with speed loaders.

I think with everyone suggesting the revolver might be right. I wasn't thinking along the lines of stoppages or misfires for the automatics. It does take practice/training to be comfortable with one of the automatic pistols. Squeeze, tap, rack, squeeze.... locking the slide back to remove a double feed or stove pipe.... When feces hits the fan this needs to be second nature not a thought process. Get a revolver. As stated, if it doesn't fire, squeeze the trigger until it does. .38's are nice and small. Not to start an argument about safeties with the Glock or Sig, bt they do have safeties. They just don't have the traditional "Red your dead" style push button safety or lever. Glock's is a trigger safety that is a small for lack of better word lever on the trigger. Unless your finger depresses this lever the trigger wont move, nor can the hammer drop. You can't drop a Glock and have it accidentally discharge. The Sig has 3 internal safeties, again unless you pull the trigger it won't discharge. Now back to shotguns (my favorite gun). The Siaga is a fun gun to shoot, but they are generally more expensive. They can definently do some damage because of the speed you can put lead downrange. As someone else stated earlier though... you can't beat the intimidation factor of a pump action shotgun.