Buying first gun, need recommendations.

A14988.jpg

WHAT KIND of gun is this?????

A felony!:biggrin:

My wife wouldn't touch a gun if she had too, so I picked the automatic instead of the revolver. I still want to pickup a revolver, as I like them, but doubt I would carry it vs the XD9.

Not sure if its been brought up yet - you might consider pepper spray for her to use. It carries well, easy to use, and has an effective range. It's cheap too.

For home invasion, I'm ready with whatever is close by and I have extra magazines on my way to my secure room, if all I have in my hands is a katana and if you don't see me, but I see you, its game over.

The new "Bodyguards" might be a good way to go...they have built in lasers.

Laser sights work both ways.:eek:

I've seen the home invasions around Lexington on TV. Seems like they're getting more brazen. I've sent you a pm. I'm in the lex area... I can show you guys a few of the "basics", if you like.

My Kimber Stainless Grand Raptor .45 is never far from my side, and when it is, my Benelli M4 with surefire is close at hand...

also, not sure if it was said already, if you get a shotgun, dont get the "tv" pistol grip handle. however do get the 18.5" barrel.

I would have to agree with the majority of comments here so far. I would go with a .38 revolver. I have both the ruger lcr and the new bodyguard .38. I know in a "stress fire" situation, I can effectively put rounds on target with either. If I want a little more to conceal, I go with my Glock 30SF. I'm a bigger guy so it's easier to conceal for me than others.

As far as the shotgun goes, I would go with a moss 500 pump. I have a 500 cruiser loaded with 1 buck for my home defense. I like the 870's too, but I like the placement of the safety on the moss as opposed to the remington. The bottom line is try them out and go with what you feel is the best for you.

gotcha..... curious what makes it illegal???

The short length! It has been obviously shortened way beyond the legal limit... You could hit the whole wall with that thing and some bird shot;)

You do NOT want to get caught with a barrel length of less than 18.5".

Like Shane said you will cover an entire wall with one shot, no controlled pattern.

I personally daily carry a Kel Tek .380, front or back pocket carry in carpenter jeans is un-noticeable.

Bryan

Ruger SP101 .357 revolver. can use .38 too.
Comes in stainless and in various barrel lengths, black rubber grips. Simple, easy to use, tough as nails.

The short length! It has been obviously shortened way beyond the legal limit... You could hit the whole wall with that thing and some bird shot;)

To be fair... depending on his state regulations... you CAN have a SBS (short barrel shotgun) legally, but you need to pay for the Tax stamp to do so.

Looking at a Saiga 12 for my next Shotgun, and it'll be a 8in barrel. Stamp costs $200 if I remember correctly.

To be fair... depending on his state regulations... you CAN have a SBS (short barrel shotgun) legally, but you need to pay for the Tax stamp to do so.

Looking at a Saiga 12 for my next Shotgun, and it'll be a 8in barrel. Stamp costs $200 if I remember correctly.

He is in Cali:eek:

wow... you scare me, only weapon i got are the two at the ends of my arm, and the "chick Chick" sound i can make with my mouth in the shadows:biggrin: was thinking of getting a 10 guage dual trigger, twin barrel shot gun, 75 bones, might saw it off, :D I cant trust myself with a gun. I had guy offer me an AK47 with a hit on it:eek::eek:

A14988.jpg

WHAT KIND of gun is this?????

Jeezus! might be safer to stand in front of that thing when firing. Pellets are gonna fly everywhere but straight from that thing. You'll definately clear the hallway with it.

Excellent advice so far on here and some good options as well. I am an FDLE instructor and was a SAMI before I retired, so my two cents is...stick with a revolver (or several strategically placed)for home defense.,point and click operation, most all of us have it ingrained from childhood play(girls too).. cops/robbers,cowboys/Indians, etc. Muscle memory from formative years. Practice retrieval (empy) and any training you may think would benifit from for safeguarding your self and others at home. Drill yourself and your significant other a in a few scenarios each week. People act differently when the adrenalin is flowing so your actions need to be fluid and exact, without the influence of uncertainty. When you pull the trigger, you should only have to do it once per target, because of your clarity of the task to be performed and your competency given to you by both training and marksmanship.. There is no rewind in a shooting scenario, do it once...do it right.

A legal length barrel is measured from the end of the chamber to the tip of the barrel and must be 18" for a shot gun and 16" for a rifle. if the weapon is made before 1898 then it can be grandfathered as an antique. Other wise it must be considered a class II weapon and must be registered with the ATF. If it's not it will be a felony and it depends on the locals whether or not it's turned over for federal time or not.:eek:

You do NOT want to get caught with a barrel length of less than 18.5".

Like Shane said you will cover an entire wall with one shot, no controlled pattern.

I personally daily carry a Kel Tek .380, front or back pocket carry in carpenter jeans is un-noticeable.

Bryan

A short barreled shot gun is extreamly effective. Just ask law enforcement. You can still buy a 12 inch barrel gun with the right tax stamp but I myself don't want the government to have the right to come in my home without my permission. yes, they really can do this once you get class II or III weapons.:eek:

He is in Cali:eek:

He's in WA Shane. Just about as bad.:frown:

the rugger judge for home deffense its a 4.10 shotgun / 45 colt

pretty nasty with buck shot .. or the 45 colt

.38 ladysmith for carry ... light an hammerless