Bye, Bye single shot! I can hear again!

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Well, after not listening to advice that the single shot 3" exhaust would be loud, I put one on my GN anyway. A mere 200 miles later it has been replaced with a Hooker catback dual 2.5" system with the Aerochamber mufflers. I can actually hear again! Guess I am getting old but I just couldn't stand the noise. My wife and son didn't even want to ride in it with the single shot on it. The Hooker system went on nicely, took about 2.5 hours taking my time doing it in my garage. (no lift)

and did you feel that there is a performance difference between the two systems, Mark??
Does (did) the boost change??

That, and your GN doesn't sound like a Honda at WOT anymore! Some of us just don't wanna listen to the advice supported here :rolleyes: and we pay twice.... what was that about old dogs and new tricks again? :D
Glad yer Happy now Mark,
Jim

Just add two more straight through mufflers in the single shot for a total of 3. That's what I did. BIG difference in noise reduction.

Haven't tested the difference yet, Frank. Headed to a car show this morning but will have my wife and son with me so no high boost stuff on that trip. Tonite I am off to a cruise nite by myself so will check it out then.

As far as adding two more mufflers, didn't see the point in doing that as I wanted to keep my electric exhaust cutout, (which is actually off the car right now as the damn thing keeps leaking when closed, more refinement is still needed and I am driving the inventor nuts!)

My point is, listen when advice is given on this board. People know what they are talking about. BTW, I already sold the single shot on ebay and got the majority of my money back!

I guess it all depends on your bottom line. When I chose my single shot, my ONLY objective was to get the lightest/best flowing exhaust avaliable. It's loud alright, but avoiding certain RPM's for extended periods eases that. Having a choice of systems is a good thing, so to each his own, but your Hooker will not flow w/ the single shot. Don't take the last sentence as a flame "cause it's not intended that way. Brian

No flame taken! Everyone has their preference, I just choose to try everyones' preferences first then make a decision. Costly though!!

Mark ya wuss;) I use to have single 3"s on all my cars....out of 5-6 we only have one left with a single 3"....welcome to the ol buzzard club:p

I just got back from Norwalk riding in a GN with s 3" single shot with a Dynomax muffler. I can still hear the drone! :eek: . The owner likes the sound, but it's louder in the back seat where we sat. I have the Hooker and Aerochambers on my cars and they are great, but that is what I like. From reading a lot of other posts, there is no performance lost with the Hookers.

Originally posted by Grumpy
....welcome to the ol buzzard club
Deal me in!

I changed from the Single Shot to the ATR 2 1/2" with stainless Ultra Flows. My wife and daughter hated the Single Shot.

I haven't noticed any difference at the track, but there has to be at least some from the weight difference. The Single Shot is 20 lbs lighter.

ATR 2 1/2" = 54 lbs, Single Shot = 34 lbs.

Originally posted by Jimn8or
what was that about old dogs and new tricks again? :D
Glad yer Happy now Mark,
Jim

Uh, some of us ol' dawgs always have our eye out for a new trick! :D

Originally posted by Fuelie600
I guess it all depends on your bottom line. When I chose my single shot, my ONLY objective was to get the lightest/best flowing exhaust avaliable. It's loud alright, but avoiding certain RPM's for extended periods eases that. Having a choice of systems is a good thing, so to each his own, but your Hooker will not flow w/ the single shot. Don't take the last sentence as a flame "cause it's not intended that way. Brian

It might be the lightest but don't count on it to be the best flowing. :)

Originally posted by Turbo1dr
Just add two more straight through mufflers in the single shot for a total of 3. That's what I did. BIG difference in noise reduction.

Maybe the 3rd is the charm. 2 inline stainless ultraflows still make a bit of noise.

As far as adding two more mufflers, didn't see the point in doing that as I wanted to keep my electric exhaust cutout, (which is actually off the car right now as the damn thing keeps leaking when closed, more refinement is still needed and I am driving the inventor nuts!)

I'm also one of those who wants to reduce the drone. I have ATR 2 1/2" & stainless Pit Bulls & they sound good, except at highway cruising speed. I,ve considered a muffler or even a cat.

I want the open system performance when I ask for it- like maybe acutout that'll open at a certain boost pressure ( and of course a switch in the ashtray).

Keep us posted about your experiences with the electric cutout. Does it open fast enough to be practical for street use? Or is it too slow to make a difference using boost pressure to cause it to open?

TIA

I just installed the 3" single shot on my daily driver T. I used the Dynomax welded Ultraflow muffler and the drone is not bad. I have the 3" single shot on my GN with a 2 chamber Flowmaster and the drone is bad!

I was driving the T today around 65 mph on the interstate and it did not have any drone. I did notice that it had some drone around 55 mph but not at bad as the Flowmaster.

I have installed the Hooker system on several TR's and recommend this system but it is heavy.

I wanted the best flowing exhaust along with the weight savings.

I have a 2.5" dual cat back and was previously unhappy with how QUIET it was. I just added ported heads, cam & frt mount, and the exhaust sounds COMPLETELY DIFFERENT now! I can't believe how much of a change there is. Now, I'm not replacing it till it rusts out.

What's up with that? Could the enigne be flowing that much better?

-Banning.

if my physics are correct, you can flow more through 2 small pipes vs 1 large pipe, ex. two 1 1/2 in pipes can flow more than a single 3", it sounds wrong, but i am pretty sure it is correct, i will try to find supporting info
Grant J Farmer

its the area, not the diameter, but, two 2.5" pipes flow more than a single 3" in simple theory. :) In reality, one has to account for surface friction and length plus the number of bends, etc. so it is not quite that simple.

Easiest way is to drop the cat or test pipe and run out the dump pipe. Odds are that most of us won't go any faster than we do thru a dual 2.5" or a single 3.0". But there may be some that due.

ATR likes to advertise their dual 2.5"s have been in the nines....

I bet it would have gone faster still straight out the dp. :)

thanks steve,
i knew i wasn't 100 percent correct, but i was close, i am not flaming manufactures, heck i have a 2 foot piece of 4 in pipe off both my turbos, i am not in the market for a stock style exhaust, but i think that a single pipe looks more race oriented, even though it might not be the best, but now that i have made everyone mad i will shutup
Grant J Farmer

I ain't mad! try again! LOL

I am for a tilt front clip and that four inch pipe coming out behind the front tire just like a '55 Chevy gasser....hmmm, wonder what a straight axle front end would do.......:)