You can type here any text you want

Cam Bearing Depth

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Me too, curiosity is killing the cat. ;)

I have the tool in the garage, installed probably 300 sets of cam bearings, but depending on how the bearings "felt" going in, I may or may not go backwards. That's why it is important to take your time. "Tap, and look". :biggrin:

If I were building a single digit ET car, with thousands and thousands tied up in it, I might yank a bearing I took to far and replace it, just to be safe. On typical engine shop stock motors, not so much. Saw a guy put cam bearings in one block, then found a crack, so he removed them and put them in another block. :eek: Motor ran great and was nearing 80k last time I saw it. Different beasts I know, would be much more cautious with a HP motor.

Cool , This is good to know. I was only going off what I thought I read here.
I wasn't trying to school you, you obviously know what you are talking about. You never know what peoples abilities are on this site.

So it is your opinion that if I had the same bearing too far I can beat it back with the tool?

I have the cone style. So it wouldn’t be centered on anything, just hanging in the air.

It seems too far based on the way the cam rides on it installed.

Cool , This is good to know. I was only going off what I thought I read here.
I wasn't trying to school you, you obviously know what you are talking about. You never know what peoples abilities are on this site.

So it is your opinion that if I had the same bearing too far I can beat it back with the tool?

I have the cone style. So it wouldn’t be centered on anything, just hanging in the air.

It seems too far based on the way the cam rides on it installed.

Before doing anything, I'd post a pic. If it is like the one that started this thread, you may be good to go. The odd thing is on some of these blocks is that they are pretty inconsistent with locations of things, like the oil holes. You may be good to go.

No, school away! Even if I have done something a million times, things change when you change your "platform" or use of the motor changes which totally revamps the way you machine, build, etc. Hell, I bored and honed probably 600 blocks before I changed careers and never heard of a torque plate until the end! I play "what if" and "devils advocate" in some questions because I am curious. Appreciate the info back and forth, it is very helpful.

Getting OT..... but I assume the motor you posted the pic of Archie was a stroker?

No, a 4.1 with a real messed up line bore.. :eek:

I see that... looks the the #2 main is a little low....

I was noticing the apparent notch in the oil galley near the bottom of the #2 sleeve. I thought that might have been put there to gain clearance for the crank throw.....

Back