You can type here any text you want

cam break-in additives

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87-TURBO-T

I put a new flat tappet in and have a few questions. the cam and lifters have the "paste" break in lube on them. i also have the comp 159 break in additive that i will put in. would it be overkill to add a bottle of zdd plus also? will any of these additives hurt the turbo? thanks

I dont believe it will hurt-i would add it.i usually use GM EOS.but now only using roller cams.

The ZDDP is a good idea reguardless of what other additives you have in it. After you do the break in I'd add another bottle when you change it.

I hear good things about Joe Gibbs break in oil. I am going to try it on my next engine rebuild.
My bad, he is asking about cam break in. I use EOS and 1 qt over fill on oil, for the break in peroid, then back to factory level.
But maybe the J.G. oil might help for just cam break in.

kirban 2 cents worth

You best add zddplus....Richard Clark has had comp cap additive tested unless its different than the one we did it is not that high in zddp...I am not at work to remember what the bottle reads but I know its a 12 ounce bottle designed for break in....

As for the EOS comment above our 4 ounce bottle of ZDDPlus would take TWO of those larger EOS bottles to equal the zddp levels we have.

Its just good you are a least using Joe Gibbs oil as the base oil so your levels are higher than the standard SM brands which onlyl contain 600-800 ppm of zddp.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

RC will soon have a assembly paste available based on the product. We already have production samples.

another 2 cents worth.......!

Owners running roller cams on Mobil I, or not using something like ZDDP, with soon see roller and cam wear. Just because it is a roller, does NOT mean high loads and not present.:eek:

Valve spring pressures are higher, sometimes MUCH higher, and this put extreme loads on the small needle bearings, rollers are narrow as compared to a flat tappet lifter, and this can wear both cam and roller lifter.

This is not just an opinion, as we have various roller cams and lifters in the scrap pile as testimony.;)

No one seems to recognize that the side loads on pistons on a blown engine are high, especially at the higher RPM's, especially since most all are using a roller cam.:confused: This is another place where the additive works extremely well.

Just my opinion on the Joe Gibbs break in oil since I have no personal experience with it. From the research I have done, there are 2 things that make it "different"?

First it has elevated amounts of ZDDP, which you can easily get from one 4 oz. bottle, and it has less detergent to keep oil on the cylinder walls. Is this worth the crazy price just for an hour or 2 of run time? Even though we build engines well in excess of $20k, don't see any difference doing break in, even on a dyno, with regular oil and ZDDP.

Low detergent straight 30 wt with EOS or ZDDP should go in any breakin for a motor IMO. I am not a PRO but have broken in 5 motors on flat tappets & 1 roller with success so thats what I do personally. Just MY Preference is all I'm saying. I just happen to have 24 bottles of old stock EOS so thats what I use but when its gone will use the ZDDP. Also when the motor is built right from the start thats a Big Plus to start, so the Machine Shop should be a shop you know & trust with your wallet!

ZDDP x 8. with a good racing oil for break-in. I used the Valvoline, but if I had to do it again now, I would go with the Royal-Purple Racing Oil. 500+ horses and almost 9000miles in 2 yrs since my build. Purrs like a kitten, runs like a pissed off Lion. I add ZDDP to every oil change. my $.02...

can you purchase ZDDP at any parts store?new motor here and would like to use it.thanks

can you purchase ZDDP at any parts store?new motor here and would like to use it.thanks

kirban 2 cents worth

its not in stores yet getting into that market is tough for a new product won;t happen until people start asking for it.

It is available from major mail order companies such as:

Eastwood
Biil Hirsch Products
Mac Antiques
Year One
Ames Performance
Moss Motors
Isky Cams
Erson Cams
Crower Cams
Delta Cams

Several turbo vendors Nick Micale, Gbodyparts.com
Gesslers, us (kirbanperformance)

many companies sell it on ebay...

90% of it come from our company to other companies..their is no easier solution than what is in that 4 ounce bottle.

Kenny Duttweiler poured a bottle personally, in the Galina/Freeman 1,700 hp turbo buick at the GS Nats....not something you would do if you thought it would not do what we claim it does. Kenny has known us for over a dozen years.

Eventually it will be in stores...making it even tougher is the economy....

we do sell to some independant napa and auto stores.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Kenny Duttweiler poured a bottle personally, in the Galina/Freeman 1,700 hp turbo buick at the GS Nats....not something you would do if you thought it would not do what we claim it does. Kenny has known us for over a dozen years.

Is that a flat-tappet motor?

Is that a flat-tappet motor?

I am sure it was a roller engine.....which needs zddplus also....I have a testamonial from a engine builder builds 1,000 plus hp engines roller set ups
turning 9,500 rpms with over 1,100lbs of spring pressure

he tears them down and has noticed a significant reduction in cam lobe and roller wheel scuffing....

Feel free to call Kenny if you want to verify he poured it in the engine...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Back