You can type here any text you want

Cam Degree Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

alexo

Hello There,
Its me again the newbie.
The car I just bought has a rebuilt engine in it.
According to the previous owner the cam is a 218/218.
If I'm reading it correctly on the paperwork.
I think the car is a bit rough for street.
Think I might need to replace it with something milder.
What you guys think?
I just want to drive the car around town and highway cruise every now and again.

Hello There,
Its me again the newbie.
The car I just bought has a rebuilt engine in it.
According to the previous owner the cam is a 218/218.
If I'm reading it correctly on the paperwork.
I think the car is a bit rough for street.
Think I might need to replace it with something milder.
What you guys think?
I just want to drive the car around town and highway cruise every now and again.

Are you tuning with a stand alone or stock ecu? Is you car idling in open loop? I've ran much larger cam than a 218 on the street that would idle and perform great. What type of cam? hydraulic or solid?

I have a similar hydraulic cam and it is very streetable with a TT chip. Check your tune before changing the cam.

What's your combo? Combination is everything. Mismatched parts will kill drivability. Injectors? Converter? Cam specs? Head work? Exhaust? Air Intake? Turbo? Intercooler? Gearing? Chip?

Love my 218/218, idles just rough enough that you know it's not stock, drives smooth as silk.

I have a similar hydraulic cam and it is very streetable with a TT chip.....

Similar is NOT the same Bob, the 218/218 grind is a "fast ramp" cam and all of them I have worked on lope, or idle rough compared to stock, or even a 206/206 cam. :)

They perform good, but most street guys are not happy with them as I have replace a couple.

Well,
the car is solid lifter, 50lb injectors and 70mm intake.
The precision t63 turbo.
Also found some chips in the glove for the ecu.
One chip has a street 93 label on it. The idle is a bit high with this one.
Put in the other chips and the idle is much lower but is more responsive in the low end but starts to flood at about half throttle. Thinking one of these might be a smog chip, I know for sure one of them is the stocker.
All I have to do now is try to find someone around the sf bay in california that knows how to work on these cars.
What fun!!
Any feeedback folks would help.
Gracias

Well,
the car is solid lifter, 50lb injectors and 70mm intake.
The precision t63 turbo.
Also found some chips in the glove for the ecu.
One chip has a street 93 label on it. The idle is a bit high with this one.
Put in the other chips and the idle is much lower but is more responsive in the low end but starts to flood at about half throttle. Thinking one of these might be a smog chip, I know for sure one of them is the stocker.
All I have to do now is try to find someone around the sf bay in california that knows how to work on these cars.
What fun!!
Any feeedback folks would help.
Gracias

Solid lifter??? Wouldn't want that in my street car, and not needed for your other mods.

Stop getting on it with unknown chips, no data, and no one to help you yet...It's easy to hurt a TR if you don't have the knowledge needed.

As mentioned,
the car needs some fine tuning.
There is a meeting this Tuesday at the local pizza place with a few guys that are more versed in these cars than I.
I'll let you guys know what else transpires after that.
Not sure quite frankly of its hydraulic or solid
Pretty sure its hydraulic.
But than again the car has a mini spool in back.
The really hurts the driveability factor.
Its a mystery this car. For all the money that was put it in the engine you'd think it would drive a bit better.
Think the guys were going to drag it.

As mentioned,
the car needs some fine tuning.
There is a meeting this Tuesday at the local pizza place with a few guys that are more versed in these cars than I.
I'll let you guys know what else transpires after that.
Not sure quite frankly of its hydraulic or solid
Pretty sure its hydraulic.
But than again the car has a mini spool in back.
The really hurts the driveability factor.
Its a mystery this car. For all the money that was put it in the engine you'd think it would drive a bit better.
Think the guys were going to drag it.

Hey Alexo,

I will be attending the pizza meet for the first time as well. :cool: Hope to see you there!

Thanks for your worries, but it;s not hard to tell that when i go past the .050" and back up i change the ratchet direction to go back and then i change it again immediately which means i'm then going forward in the normal direction of rotation to reach the desired lift. When you degree a cam it is a checking process and depending on those results you take the appropriate action. I checked both the intake and exhaust. this was just the exhaust. Yes the Bigger the wheel the better more precise.

wheres this meet going to be held at?? I think I know the one if its in southern cali...if so let me know when i would like to go...

Back