You can type here any text you want

cam qestion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
On a cam what exactly is lobe seperation ? And can you have to cams the same duration but with different lobe seperation?

On a cam what exactly is lobe seperation ? And can you have to cams the same duration but with different lobe seperation?

Lobe separtion is the difference between the intake lobe centerline and
the exhaust lobe centerline. It is measured in degrees. It is possible to
have a cam with everything else being the same except the L/S.

cam

Lobe separtion is the difference between the intake lobe centerline and
the exhaust lobe centerline. It is measured in degrees. It is possible to
have a cam with everything else being the same except the L/S.
is lobe seperation what makes a cam considered street or track cam?

is lobe seperation what makes a cam considered street or track cam?

Not usually ,while it might have some consideration on a cam that is to big
for the application . I would usually look at the duration first then the lift to
determine what cam to use . The lobe intensity is also a factor in the primary
use of the engine. A street cam would have a mild lobe opening rate while an
all out race engine would have a more aggresive lobe .

Dan posted on another thread he had a street combo make close to 700 at the wheels. He knows his stuff!

Dan has also helped the top TSM racers make ~900 HP with a 70mm turbo..

Since were on the subject...Does anyone know the OEM turbo cam specs,either through experience or having one cam doctor'd...I have searched...but can't seem to any good info.

GC

I think I may have some OEM cam specs at work, I'll try to remember to check tomorrow...

LSA can vary greatly between any cam profiles... In general more LSA is better for computer controlled apps as well as any type of Nitrous or Boost, but this doesn't seem to be the trend with turbo Buicks... to each there own... plus, High LSA = smoother idle, Low LSA = nasty lope

I think I may have some OEM cam specs at work, I'll try to remember to check tomorrow...

LSA can vary greatly between any cam profiles... In general more LSA is better for computer controlled apps as well as any type of Nitrous or Boost, but this doesn't seem to be the trend with turbo Buicks... to each there own... plus, High LSA = smoother idle, Low LSA = nasty lope

Thanks...Much appreciated!:)

GC

LSA can vary greatly between any cam profiles... In general more LSA is better for computer controlled apps as well as any type of Nitrous or Boost, but this doesn't seem to be the trend with turbo Buicks... to each there own... plus, High LSA = smoother idle, Low LSA = nasty lope[/QUOTE]

Yes the low LS will create a engine lope at idle, the smaller duration cams
that have very little overlap are not obvious. The larger overlap numbers are
what causes the lope . I have had many request for cams that have a
lopey idle , there is nothing more cool then to have the exhaust sound like
a V8 but have a V6 under the hood. We have many 1200 HP plus engines
on 110 LS.

DLS what cam do you really prefer in these cars when it comes to the track? rather it be custom grind or off the shelf? what: duration/ls

Back