You can type here any text you want

Cam selection?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QWIKWE4

I'm putting together a 4.1 short block and I wanted some suggestions on a good all around cam for my application. I'm trying to run low 11's to mid 10's and I want the motor to be very streetable.

206-206,or 212-206 will get the job done.Go hyd roller if you can swing it.:)

That cam is too small for a 4.1 in my taste.
I would go with a 210 to 218 durration.

Please keep in mind that I have run from stock
to 230* in a stock block 3.8.
The 206 cam in the bigger 4.1 will be very streetable,
but maybe to small for the size of your motor.

Thanks for the input I think I'm gonna go with a bigger cam. Probably like a 218.

Thanks

He said mid tens,we have one here in a 274 cube motor running that with a 212-206.The car is street driven and with 83s and the stock maf and computer it is very street friendly.I don't want to ruffle feathers but you have to make your mind up how you will use the car.A bigger cam will be better for power but, you have to ask yourself one question,how fast do you want to go?And are your going to street drive the rig,I've been watching too many Clint Eastwood movies latly.Jim:D

A 252ci motor is 9% bigger than a 231ci motor.
Running a 206 cam in the 252 will be like running a 188 cam in a 231. A 272 is about 15% bigger. If you can handle a 210 cam in a 231 then you should be able to handle a 229 in a 252ci. This is far from and exact science but the point is more cubic inches require more camshaft for the same rpm range as a smaller motor.

This is one of the most controversial subjects when it comes to the buick v6.I don't have any math,but I have seen what will work.I agree with you John on the cam issue.I don't think it is a big issue though when running only mid tens.Jim

One thing about smaller cams, is less valvetrain wear, I keep reading about how street driving S-2's wears them out so I went conservative but would like to try a 218 or 224 but I think the 212 is capable of low, low tens.

Jim

Back