You can type here any text you want

Cam sensor gear

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vacuum 6

At what point should a bronze gear be used?

This engine has a roller cam with a NON-HV front cover, only using a booster plate.

is it a billet roller? certain billet roller cam gears need a bronze gear the rest use stock gears

It is not a billet cam.

Walter
If it has an oil feed hole coming from the cam thrust (and all cast cams do) then it will be fine with a stock gear.

BOP engineering sells a really cool (expensive) polymer gear for the cam sensor but even that will wear out with out an oil feed

If it has an oil feed hole coming from the cam thrust (and all cast cams do) then it will be fine with a stock gear.

BOP engineering sells a really cool (expensive) polymer gear for the cam sensor but even that will wear out with out an oil feed

Yeah I'm not 100% sure however if they all do then I'm good.

Currently I'm running a bronze gear and I'm seeing an issue with the cam timing...~90° out after ~1500 miles. And no I don't think the chain jumped.

If you are running an Austemper hydraulic roller, then leave the stock cam sensor gear alone and sleep good at night. Even billet roller cams use a cast iron dist drive gear and do not need any change to cam sensor gear. Anyone tells you different does not understand the Buick system. I have never had an issue with cam sensor gear failure. I have had issues with running stock timing cover and an external oil pump with the cam sensor being pulled down and killing the "cup" on the sensor. Ended up adding a torrington bearing and a billet cup to the cam sensor. Still have that cam sensor on the shelf.

Back