Cam Sensor Issues

pmparents

Can anyone help me, please? This car is driving me crazy, this past weekend my father and i was setting the Cam sensor with caspers tool when we noticed that the LED on the tool never lit up! We thought maybe da tool was bad, so we did it the voltmeter way.

We did the steps, no problem with those until we probed the back of the wiring. Voltage read 5.14 when its supposed to read around 7.5. We both were like, what the hell! Even worse, no matter which way we turned the sensor, it stayed at 5.14 volts. It didn't drop at all, no matter which way we rotated it! Bad cam sensor maybe?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

I'll take a stab at it.

Have you had the cam sensor apart? What's the reason it's out? Is your coil pack/module and crank sensor plugged in while your checking the voltage. Are your grounds secure? Are you probing the blue or middle wire? Is the TPS plugged in while checking voltage? Make sure that your cam sensor cap is free of cracks. I can't think of anything else. Keep us posted.

Any luck on finding the issue?
I am having the exact same problem, but the voltage stays at 7.0 v and will not change no matter how the sensor is rotated.
any one ever experience this?
any help is greatly appreciated.

did u ck the grounds on the back side of the pass head ??
is the key in the run pos. ???
is the power to the computer pluged in ??

Take off the cap of the cam sensor & make sure the screw is tight & holding the reluctor ring in place. The tab can break off & make it spin so it will not work. Altho, I dont know exactly what this would do to voltage? Worth a quick peek!

Take off the cap of the cam sensor & make sure the screw is tight & holding the reluctor ring in place. The tab can break off & make it spin so it will not work. Altho, I dont know exactly what this would do to voltage? Worth a quick peek!

yeah, I already checked that, it was good.
I was actually hoping it was the problem cause that would have been an easy fix.

I did this just as a precaution. Runs ruff & sat 4 awhile also!

B 4 I started setting the cam sensor, earlier I had installed the RJC cam fix. The little stainless steel ring they make 2 go in the cup under the cap. There was a rattle sound when i started the car and the car ran ruff. All the symptons from what I've read online about the sensor being worn. So I figured I'd try the $20 fix kit. I installed it with no problems. started much better afterwards. In the process I figured I'd make sure the timing was right also, thats how I ended up trying 2 set it. Caspers tool was supposed 2 make it a little easier, but the the voltage issue came about. I did it strictly by the book each time I tried( I tried quite a few times). 2morrow I'll check the voltage on the TPS and go from there. I was thinking from the car sitting 4 awhile that the wires on the cap maybe bad also. Thanks 4 the replies folks I appreciate it, keep them coming!

I've had this happen to before but.........

I can't remember what fixed it. You can get a new cam sensor and cap at AutoZone for $40. Made by Wells. Just a thought if you think the cap is bad.