You can type here any text you want

cam sensor question GN related

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Otto J

Should the car still run if the sensor is disconnected AFTER the car is running? I had a problem today,started last night, car had a intern\mittent miss, changed plugs seems to be fine, stepped on it hard and it backfired a few times and stalled, no restart. Changed the cam sensor because car still had spark,no fuel but plenty of prerssure. Car started with new cam sensor, But not be changin just the top. I had to change the assembly.(not sure why it seems to be ok) but when it is disconnected whilke running it shuts right down. Is it normal?(i have a fast system B2b)
Otto

well i left out that when i reset the cam sensor the car had started, so i changed the whole unit and it was fine,BUT just took the old one apart, it had looked ok BUT when disassembled it had sheared off the locating tab and moved. so that is why i had to replace the whole thing.
But still need to know for curiosity sake if it shoiuld run without it after it is started
Otto

It will run fine with out it connected in cruise and WOT as the car is then in batch fire mode for the injectors instead of sequential.

so your saying it wont idle, but will run above idle rpm?If i unplug it while it is running it shuts down(at idle)

Once the car is running you should be able to unplug the cam sensor and drive it where ever you want...cross country even :) its just that once you turn off the key its not gonna restart. I ran my car like this a couple times as I had a hickup at wot I couldn't figure out and when I ran w/ it unplugged aka batch fire mode it no longer hickuped and I was able to finally trace the problem down to a bad coilpack and a crank sensor that was on they're way out and maf dropouts . Upon startup once the ecm picks up the crank sensor pulses and then gets the cam sensor pulse it then knows when to fire the injectors. Thats one reason why sometimes the cars start right when you turn the key and other times it takes a rev or 2.

If your cars shutting off when you unplug it then you have possible other problems...maybe crank sensor but I'm not sure. You might want to post in the tech section that its doing that.

I dont believe you are refering to a car with a FAST systewm on it. I think it still needs it after start for injector and spark timing reasons
Otto

Back