You can type here any text you want

Cam Sensor Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2006 Viper

Need help.

Under the cam sensor cap is what would be, on an older car, the distributor rotor. In the last 5 months the metal tab has broken off twice causing the car to die. When I turn it over it just cranks and back fires.

Any ideas whats causing this?

Do I need a new cam sensor?

Can I just buy the "Rotor" portion from somewhere?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Check with RJC Racing. I believe that they sell a repair kit for this issue. It it also stronger (or better) then the stock piece.

RemoveBeforeFlight

What did you do to repair the rotor the last two times? RJC does make a good repair kit but i would be wondering what caused it to break.

They just break. It's probably a good idea for any sort of high performance use to drill and install a loc-tited set screw into a stocker that hasn't broken the locating tab yet :) Stronger than just the tab alone. Lozano Brothers used to do this back in the turbo Buick Indy days time frame (have one of their old sensors in a box).

TurboTR

don,t use red locktite. the screw will break when you try to remove it.been there done that

don,t use red locktite. the screw will break when you try to remove it.been there done that

If you heat it with a torch before removal it will destroy the loc-tite bond.

just buy a new one! you obviously have problems with the junk one you already have! a tow home will cost you about the same as a new sensor!
i drive 1 of several turbo regals that i own EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE LAST 6 1/2 YEARS! i have yet to have cam sensor problems! i probably put on well over 200,000 miles in the cars that i have NONE OF THEM ARE LOW MILE VIRGINS EITHER! buy a new sensor for the $100 and don't worry about it ever again.

just buy a new one! you obviously have problems with the junk one you already have! a tow home will cost you about the same as a new sensor!
i drive 1 of several turbo regals that i own EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE LAST 6 1/2 YEARS! i have yet to have cam sensor problems! i probably put on well over 200,000 miles in the cars that i have NONE OF THEM ARE LOW MILE VIRGINS EITHER! buy a new sensor for the $100 and don't worry about it ever again.

If you rev over 5500 id put the kit in or you are going to find yourself stuck in the middle of nowhere with a cranks but wont start problem. New or used they could come loose at any time if not dealt with

Back