CAM Sensor setting

MCH86GN

Ok I have read the links to GNTTYPE.org and vortexbuick. Maybe I'm dumb or over thinking it, but I have a question that doesn't seem to be specifically addressed.

I have the crank set at 25* ATDC, on the compression stroke. I have the CAM sensor set up such that the dot is facing PS wheel well and interrupter ring opening is facing about the 4 o'clock position and I have seated the sensor, not tightened. Now the question is how do I rotate interrupter ring without moving the CAM gear, thus knocking it out of alignment with the crank which is at 25* TDC? Once the CAM is seated, I don't rotate the crank to move the interrupter ring, right? This little detail is escaping me and maybe I should've spent more than a minute looking at the CAM sensor. When I install this sucker tonight I'm going to record it, because for retards like myself a picture is worth a thousand words. I have a multi-meter to check the voltage of the sensor output. I even have a breakout harness that will allow me to clip the output of the sensor wire.

You won’t be moving the ring you will be moving the cap . The ring will stay in place as you rotate the cap to where. U need it

Ok, I figured out why I was making this so hard on myself. By CAM sensor, I wasn't making the connection of the hall effect sensor. I kept thinking sensor meant interrupter ring.

Watch "How To Install A Cam Sensor" on YouTube

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That effin simple. Since 25* ATDC was marked on my balancer and it was easy enough to find the compression stroke, I could've had this done weeks ago.

How did you find compression stroke?
Removed spark plug 1 and rotated the crank to 25* ATDC marked on my balancer, then I stuck my pinkie finger in the hole and when I felt the air pushing out. I used a socket to fit the crank bolt and I was able to turn it enough to fell the air coming out. As it turns out I was initially 360* out of phase. I did this procedure several times and I even had my wife put her finger in the spark plug hole and I asked her to tell me when she felt air pressure or pushing out. There are a few other methods that are move exact, like using a compression gauge. Now I have my CAM assembly in the front cover, but I can't seem to get the surfaces to mate.

I haven't secured it yet, the put CAM sensor and there is about an 1/8th of a gap left to go and I can't get the CAM sensor to go down any further. Is that normal? I would think not, especially once the hold down bolt and washer are tightened. I do some more research on the forum here and see if there are any suggestions.

Now I know what the issue is, I need to turn the oil pump shaft so the parts mesh together.

Well I can't seem to get the oil pump gear to line up with the CAM assembly or so it feels. Is they a way to tell if it is engaged? Should the sensor assembly mount flush with the front cover? I have about an 1/8th from being flush. I have used a screw driver to try and line up oil pump and CAM sensor assembly. Tired, going to bed.

Yup, should sit flat to the surface.

Do not tighten the clamp until it is.
Thanks, I hope it's just matter of alignment. Maybe I can use a marker and see where the sensor assembly is setting on the oil pump gear.

Do this:
Remove the O-ring from the cam sensor and work the installation process until you are comfortable with it. Sensor should drop right in without the O-ring, if the pump shaft is aligned.

Do this:
Remove the O-ring from the cam sensor and work the installation process until you are comfortable with it. Sensor should drop right in without the O-ring, if the pump shaft is aligned.
Going to try it tomorrow after work.

Go back to the 25 degrees starting point , you was almost there. Reinstall cam sensor it’s up 1/4 in.
OK you ready? I use my wife for this next step, you will GENTLY hold down on the body of the sensor NOT the rotting or centered part. Have her BUMP the engine over with the key. The came sensor is engaged with cam gear and will rotate tell it falls in the oil pump drive.
Now you can rotate back to 25 degrees tell the cam sensor points to where you were on compression stroke. Set as video says.