You can type here any text you want

Cam???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboWh1

I've got my engine apart and was thinking of possibly switching cams. I currently have a comp 206/206 cam in the car. I'm happy with it as far as performance. But its always been really noisey in the top end. I did use the lifters that came with it. I've heard that you should use the new OEM GM lifters. Have any of you guys experianced this?? I wouldn't mind swaping the cam. I've heard that alot of guys run a weber speedpro cam with GM lifters. My car is a street car so I'm not looking for anything to crazy but I'm open for ideas.
Thanks,
Brandon

I just pulled my Comp 206/206 cam with Sealed Power lifters out of my engine because I couldn't stand the racket anymore (the whole RPM range). I put in an Erson 208/208 with GM lifters (flat tappet). I haven't finished re-assembling the engine yet so I don't know if it "solved" the problem. Bottom line...you're not alone in thinking your Comp 206/206 is a noisey SOB.

Thats good to hear! Could I keep the cam and just replace the lifters or should I just swap everything? It is noisy....Its been driving me nuts since I rebuilt the engine 4 years ago. I just didnt want to open it back up since it ran so good. But now I'm into the engine again so now is the time to fix the problem!!

...but what if it's the cam that's causing the noise?

Cams don't make noise. If the lifters are 'bouncing' on the cam, you probably have weak valve springs. Changing out the lifters is a cheaper way to ascertain whether its the lifters or springs. You do have the proper preload on the hydraulic lifters no?

just to cool my own curiosity....

are you guys really dropping new lifters on an old cam?

in all my days i thought this was a major no-no.........

is it myth?

A.j.

I have a Comp 206/206 roller kit in my car. It came with the roller lifters and it's noisy too. I was told to go with adjustable roller rockers. Don't know if that would help....

Cams don't make noise.

I meant indirectly contributing to the noise problem. As 87GN_70GS stated, maybe the Comp 206/206 has fast ramps. This combo (cam + Sealed Power lifters) just might be the noise ticket. Just swapping lifters MAY not make a difference.

Anyway, I was originally going to just change lifters also, but decided to put a new cam under my new lifters. I'm rolling the dice here that my sewing machine sound will be gone. I put new custom length pushrods into the mix too. Preload ~0.025".

I believe the valve springs are good. I'm running the ones that came on the champian iron heads that I bought new from champian. Is there a way I can check them? I visually inspected them and they appear to be intact and not broken.

a few years ago I went to a 212/212 comp hyd cam. When I ordered it the guy at comp told me they had a new "turbo" lobe design that was more aggressive and was making some awesome power. So, I bit and had them grind my cam that way. It was so noisey the knock sensor would pick up tons of knock just idling. :eek:

Just A Six??

Please tell me what the part number is on the cams you are using. I want to order one for my GN. I just ordered heads today from champion and when I pull the heads off I want to install a new cam and the way everyone is talking I dont believe I want one from comp cams. Thanks

Please tell me what the part number is on the cams you are using. I want to order one for my GN. I just ordered heads today from champion and when I pull the heads off I want to install a new cam and the way everyone is talking I dont believe I want one from comp cams. Thanks

I have used 1 208-214 RV12H & 2 of the 214-214 TQ20H from Erson & always GM lifters. The 214-214 also has a ken Duttweiler grind that I didnt try. Think it was TQ20HKD or something like that? Those setups went to another car & also another members motor & they just plain work well & are quiet. I had the cams cryo treated but its not needed. Will help some but the key is Proper Breakin the first 20 mins with 10-30 & EOS or the ZDDP stuff out now.
I like the 214 myself as it still runs like a stock cam & idles smooth. 208 is a touch smoother but the 214 has more kick. This engine (#5) is all roller & amazingly quiet compared to many but more work in detail to set up. Also proper length pushrods are a Must for any quiet smooth running engine.

PM me if you need more info. I dont get post notification so a PM will get my attention.

Page 4 part# E670121 (TQ20H) . the only difference between the KD and the Erson 214/214 cam is the LS .

http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/AMCJeep.pdf

the following quote from one of Ersons top Cam techs (Tom McGibbon) :

"Tim, the KD 20 H is a grind we do for Duttweiler. The difference between it and the TQ-20-H is the lobe center 110 on the KD-20-H, 111+4 on the TQ-20-H.The TQ-20 will gve better bottom end performance,because of advanced intake centerline.Othewise the performance of the cams will be almost identical.Tom"

Page 4 part# E670121 (TQ20H) . the only difference between the KD and the Erson 214/214 cam is the LS .

http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/AMCJeep.pdf

the following quote from one of Ersons top Cam techs (Tom McGibbon) :

"Tim, the KD 20 H is a grind we do for Duttweiler. The difference between it and the TQ-20-H is the lobe center 110 on the KD-20-H, 111+4 on the TQ-20-H.The TQ-20 will gve better bottom end performance,because of advanced intake centerline.Othewise the performance of the cams will be almost identical.Tom"

There you go. Thanks Tim! :)

brandon i have the same cam in my car. i got it from steve hughes,it is very quite. come up to the cruise in on fridays and we can BS. later brian

Back