Can a chip go bad?

dboosted1

I have been running a thasher 108 chip for 009s for the last couple weeks and when I went to re-install the 92 chip the car would idle really rough, miss, the check engine light would turn on and scanmaster would not operate. I did not even want to drive the car scared i would damage it. I thought maybe I installed the chip incorrectlly and reinsalled it and it still was horrible. I thought I might of forgot to unplug and replug the orange ecm wire at the battery but I did it correctly. Lastly I reinstalled the thrasher 108 again and it is perfect? Any suggestions? Thanks

Sounds like you zapped the 92 chip and when inserted, the ECM is running in limp-home mode. It has nothing to do with the orange ECM wire being unplugged or not at chip change.

With the 92 octane chip inserted, put the car in diagnotics mode and see if you get code five-one.

hey

my stock chip went bad over time. the car would run but barly. it wouldnt build boost or anything . you would have to give it full throttle for like a min then it would boost right up. so to answer your question yes chips can go bacd. anything electrical like that can go bad.

brent

Chips of any kind are sensitive to static electricity. That's why they usually get shipped in those weird bags. It's usually best not to rub a balloon in your hair before handling a computer chip.

Peter

Originally posted by 99Formula
It's usually best not to rub a balloon in your hair before handling a computer chip.

Is that a frequent problem around here?
LOL

BTW, handling a styrofoam cup, can generate about 5Kv of static eletricity. GM had some interesting service letters out about static electricity when they first started using digitial dashs.

i was thinking it was ok as long as you stuck the balloon to a wall and touched a cats nose before handling the chip.

earl

Originally posted by TurboDave

Bad ECM? One chip works, one doesn't.

:confused:

Sorry did not noticed the last sentence. That's what happens when you stay up too late :eek:

I would have to agree that you burned up the chip due to static electricity. Most chips are designed to run on+/- 5Vdc. A static discharge can be in the thousands of volts. You may have not even felt it (like when you rub a ballon on your head then touch a cats nose haha), but it may have been there none the less.
It is best to
1. wear a ground strap when installing chips or working with circuit boards

2. touch the car body as you are working with the chip (acts as a half arsed ground strap).

3. NEVER touch the leads of the chip.