You can type here any text you want

Can I Do It Myself....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tacordes

Well, heres the question
Ive rebuilt several motors in the past...and im pretty handy with cars... however ive never rebuilt a transmission....i posted about a week ago that im having problems with my 87 gn transmission....and im tired of worrying about it.. i think im just going to buy a "how to book" and try and do it myself... ive had the car about 2 years and i dont know much about whats been done to it other that the obvious... just about all the easy mods have been done to it...."motor wise"...however i dont know anything about the transmission... it had always shifted firm and consistant till about a week ago... let me know what you think about doing it myself......i live in the st louis area. and i have had really bad luck with the last transmission i had professionally rebuilt... to make a long story short... i pulled one from a junk yard car and it worked better than the rebuilt one.... : )

I think its good idea. Be prepared to spend some bucks on tools. I have about a $800 in tools, still need to buy more. I read an article on how to rebuild a 2004R, before I actually rebuilt my first 2004r and the guy uses a few home made tools that I just could not get to work. You are going to need a clutch spring compressor and a center support removal tool. I paid $375 for these 2 tools alone. Hope this helps in your decision.

Back