You can type here any text you want

Can I have the crossover pipe installed when I drop the engine back in to the TTA?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

Just wondering if there's enough room to have the x-over installed when installing the engine again? Easier to make sure the x-over is installed properly when I got the engine in the stand ...

Engine getting there slowly :biggrin:

Attachments

• TTA1078_bottom.jpg
    TTA1078_bottom.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 97
I think the tranny lines go thru the crossover and block, thats the hangup.

If you install flexible trans lines, then your good to go!

That motor looks great! :)

BW

I have never done it BUT I am old :p Started will prob hang up on the k frame :eek:

I think the tranny lines go thru the crossover and block, thats the hangup.

If you install flexible trans lines, then your good to go!

That motor looks great! :)

BW

Aha, didn't think about the tranny line ... thanks for bringing this up. I got the stainless reproductions I will be using ...

Cheers Dan, starter will be removed before I drop it in place ... just wanted to check everything fits properly while I have it in the engine stand and also take some nice photos :biggrin:

All ARP stainless hardware externally and also ARP stuff everywhere internally :cool:

You should have built the oil pump assy with the cover off the motor. Also prime the engine on the stand.

HTH

You should have built the oil pump assy with the cover off the motor. Also prime the engine on the stand.

HTH

I trial fitted all the oil pump parts, checked pump gear clearences and also blueprinted the front cover oil passages etc before I painted and installed it on the engine. Put the gears and everything in place this morning and packed it all with vaseline ... got a primer to use with my electrical drill so will prime the engine while on the stand when I'm close to drop it back in place to make sure I get oil all the way up to both valve covers (pushrods etc).

Hi Jan,
Long time since I talked to you! You have done wonders since then with your project.
I think you are going to have some issues installing this motor WITH the crossover.Better that you leave it off, and fit it after installation of the engine. The subframe will give you trouble, certainly.. There may be other problems; trans cooling lines were already mentioned.
I wish you the best of luck with the continuance of your wonderful project!

Dale

Hi Jan!

No! You have to install it after the motor is in. There's not enough clearance to pass the K memeber. The trick to getting it on right is to leave your header bolts loose. You can then match it to the headers correctly and go back and tighten the headers. This is especially true if you used gaskets on your headers.

Hi Jan,
Long time since I talked to you! You have done wonders since then with your project.
I think you are going to have some issues installing this motor WITH the crossover.Better that you leave it off, and fit it after installation of the engine. The subframe will give you trouble, certainly.. There may be other problems; trans cooling lines were already mentioned.
I wish you the best of luck with the continuance of your wonderful project!

Dale

Thanks Dale, yep it's all looking really good just hope it runs as good as it looks when I first start it up :rolleyes: Engine bay all painted and looks better than new, front suspension all sorted with new bits, powder coated parts and poly bushings etc. And engine looking better than when it left the factory with good beefed up internals :biggrin:

Got engine complete in the engine stand with the IC and everything on it for a photos shoot before I strip off some of the stuff (including the crossover pipe) to drop it in place in my TTA (been two years in June ...).

I'll post some more pictures during the weekend.

Hi Jan!

No! You have to install it after the motor is in. There's not enough clearance to pass the K memeber. The trick to getting it on right is to leave your header bolts loose. You can then match it to the headers correctly and go back and tighten the headers. This is especially true if you used gaskets on your headers.

Howdy Frank,

Thanks, I got it installed while on the engine stand and everything lines up properly including my THDP so should work out well when I got it in place. Good idea to leave the headers on there a bit loose to make adjustment easier when installing the crossover.

Back