You can type here any text you want

can leaded fuel alter an oil analysis

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vacuum 6

Can leaded fuel alter the ppm of lead found in an oil?

My oil analysis showed 133 ppm vs the normal at 21 pmm :eek:

Yes it can. 133 doesnt seem too high if you went through a tank full of leaded race fuel. Id be worried if there was a lot of tin in my oil and sometimes aluminum. Some of the bearing manufacturers like King use softer alloys on some of there bearings and they absorb uncontrolled combustion events much better than harder often referred to as "race" bearings. When a hard bearing takes beating it will deform the bearing shell instead of the babbit layer deforming and absorbing the shock load. Once the bearing shell is distorted it will act as an oil scraper and its down hill from there. The softer bearings will actually mush out sideways and the crank and rods will not take the beating.

It was a tank of mixed 110 and pump 93 netting 97 octane. Not a tank of straight 110.

So your concern is what? :confused:

This clearly illustrates why blown/turbo cars MUST change oil more frequently because the high compression pressures cause more blow-by and quickly contaminates oil in the crankcase.

It only takes 20-25 passes in my race car using Sunoco 116 completely turn the oil gray and not useable any longer, and I use a mechanical vacuum pump to evacuate my crankcase pressure.

This is another reason why synthetic oils are a complete waste of $$$ in our turbo cars on the street or strip, as oil gets contaminated LONG before it can "wear out".

Personally, I think you are doing the right thing as I use a mix of 110 leaded in my street car, and recommend my customers do the same thing. I have already changed enough head gaskets to last 10 lifetimes, so I do not need any additional work at this point. :biggrin:

Depending of the use, a turbo car may need to change oil at less than 1000 street miles, which is cheap insurance to protect an expensive engine investment.

In my race car, I change rings/bearing at about 275-300 9 sec. passes, and have yet to trash a bearing since I installed the first TA production alum block years ago! :cool:

When I get 3 minutes of WOT time I change my oil. It's always contaminated with fuel. One tankful of leaded race fuel is more than enough to turn the oil grey.

When I get 3 minutes of WOT time I change my oil. It's always contaminated with fuel. One tankful of leaded race fuel is more than enough to turn the oil grey.

I have never thought about it from that perspective, but that is just about the same criteria I use! :biggrin:

Brian/Nick,

Lets go back to Brian's comment about bearings. What bearings are better for a 10 sec 109?

Brian/Nick,

Lets go back to Brian's comment about bearings. What bearings are better for a 10 sec 109?

We use a race bearing which may be hard to find in smaller sizes.

Alum bearings do NOT like detonation at all. :eek:

Does the race fuel cause additional smoking out the exhaust??? Did a couple passes at the track and was concerned I may have partially blown a HG, but some tell me addtitional smoke is ok with race fuel..Everything else seems fine but haven't ran the car since other than idling in the driveway...Fuel does smell like gas a little!!

Does the race fuel cause additional smoking out the exhaust??? Did a couple passes at the track and was concerned I may have partially blown a HG, but some tell me addtitional smoke is ok with race fuel..Everything else seems fine but haven't ran the car since other than idling in the driveway...Fuel does smell like gas a little!!
It doesn't cause extra smoke

Back