can this block be saved and used

Detroit6er

ok fellas, im fairly new to the forum. I interested in buying this block for a fairly decent price but it doesn't come with caps and it has a weld at the rear. its o-ringed with a 4.000 bore, off-center. I've heard of these blocks being repaired in that location before. just want to get an informed opinion from you guys. thanks

Attachments

• stage2.png
    stage2.png
    897.5 KB · Views: 391
  • stage27.png
    stage27.png
    993.2 KB · Views: 375
  • stage26.png
    stage26.png
    855.8 KB · Views: 363
  • stage25.png
    stage25.png
    1 MB · Views: 355
  • stage23.png
    stage23.png
    964.3 KB · Views: 355
  • stage22.png
    stage22.png
    945.6 KB · Views: 326
  • stage21.png
    stage21.png
    975.4 KB · Views: 356
That's A on center block. What caused the damage? The main register will need to be checked to make sure it's true after the heat of the welding. You will have to spend A good bit of money for caps. The front and rear caps have cross bolts so they will have to be A custom built cap$$$. Would be best if you can find the caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what caused the damage. the seller doesn't know much history on it other than he bought it in 98 from a guy who worked for Lawrence Connolly and it has sat since. not sure what he did with the caps but he doesn't have them

I recently sold a full set of caps on ebay from a damaged 153 block. They are still out there, just have to be patient and put some feelers out. Depends on price of the block, and if you have access to a good machinist as to whether the block is worth it.

Its way easy to get in over your head on a deal like this and like chris said its an on center block....probly not what you want. With that said I have seen much worse brought back to life however I would never do it again myself, If it were me and its time to go with a stage block I would not reccomend a project like that for the weak of heart or wallet. Who knows what else is wrong with it ?

thanks for the info guys. I did decide to pass on the block. an off center is what im really looking for so ill just wait until I come across one