You can type here any text you want

Cant beat stock brakes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87NAT

In Between GN's
I just wanted to post this for information only. I have been reading threads on aftermarket brakes for 2 years now debating about what to do about my poor braking. I have the vacuum brake conversion. I read up on bigger rotors, slotted rotors, bigger calipers, dual piston calipers, back disc conversion kits, etc...I also read up on alot of headaches with certain parts and others who didnt stop from 100 to 0 in 2 seconds like they thought they were after spending $2000.:eek:

I finally decided to replace all of my 20 years parts with stock oem stuff. I put new stainless brake lines, new stock rotors, new stock calipers, s-10 brake cylinders, new stock drums and shoes with new spring kit. The only aftermarket mod is the wheel cylinders. I want to say that I am VERY impressed with the braking power my car has now. It is a night and day differnence. I dont want to start an argument over whats best or not I just wanted others who are on the fence like I was to maybe just put new stock stuff on instead of spending major dollars on all these aftermarket systems. It feels nice to get that baby wound up over 100 mph and know its gonna stop now!:eek: :D

Good to hear. I'm in the same spot you were, reading threads about brake modifications all day long. For every mod that 10 people swear by, 20 other people will respond and say it doesn't work.

So are you still running a powermaster?

Also what's all the hype with S-10 brake parts?

So are you still running a powermaster?

Also what's all the hype with S-10 brake parts?

No...vacuum brakes. I took the powermaster off on all the TR's I have owned since 1990.

The s-10 wheel cylinders give you 30% more braking power and help you hold more boost on the line.

The s-10 wheel cylinders give you 30% more braking power and help you hold more boost on the line.

Thanks. Didn't think the brakes for one of these little trucks would be any better than what the TR came with. Is it only the wheel cylinders? Also what year S-10? 82-97?

They are bigger. But they bolt right up. 1985 chevy s-10 with manual brakes

It feels nice to get that baby wound up over 100 mph and know its gonna stop now!:eek: :D

I replaced all my stuff as well. The only thing I would like to resolve a little better is how quickly I start to get brake fade:frown:

:D :D :D .........Lovely...Scratch that problem off of the list...and add five more...

I replaced all my stuff as well. The only thing I would like to resolve a little better is how quickly I start to get brake fade:frown:

Go to a slotted and drilled rotor even if you keep the stock calipers. You will be SHOCKED how much faster they dissipate heat on the street. Trust me, I live in Vegas and brake fade starts as soon as you back out of the garage. :tongue:

but how does it stop after a few hard 100-0 stops in series?
for about the same amount of money as buying all brand new replacement parts, you could step up to 12" C4 front brakes with the 2 piston PBR calipers.. then you would really start to understand what true braking power is.
it's al labout leverage- and last time i checked, a 12" rotor gives you more leverage than a 10.5" rotor.

but how does it stop after a few hard 100-0 stops in series?

I'm assuming this is on a DD or fair weather car. Not an all out racer or 90/10 car. In other words plenty of cool down time between triple digit blasts.

Ain't nothing wrong with the stock brakes. I'm still running 10.5 rotors on the front anyway.(Rears are 11" drum). And I've done at least a combined 1,000 miles of open track time with them. Aint it fun to beat a Viper or Porsche to the corner only to have them pass you in the corner? My combo is all stock parts and I was using the Malibu 9C1/9C6 pads and shoes before GM discontinued them. Ceramics are working just fine now. No fade at all. No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel....er rotor anyway.

I used to go racing with a few guys running vintage cars. One was a drum brake C1 Corvette. I learned quite a bit about brakes from this racer. Read some of my rants about aluminum brake drums.

Back