You can type here any text you want

Car died @ 65mph - blown fuse for fuel pump?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air Beast

Hot Air Lover
After driving 1400 trouble free miles from Florida to Canada, my car died while I was going about 65 mph. Got it home and found that the 15 amp fuse for the fuel pump/injectors was blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again.

Any help as to what I should look at??

As an aside, when I turn the key, the oil/choke and service engine soon, dash indicators light up. From what i can recall, normally three indicators light up - oil/choke, service engine soon and volts - no idea if this means anything. Maybe the peanut bulb for volts blew at the same time as the fuse as a coincidence.

Help

Phil in canada

Have a look at the fuel pump diagnostic test connector located behind the alternator. See if its frayed or damaged and shorting out on the alternator case or the valve cover

Unplug the pump at the tank and see if it blows . This way you I'll know at least it's not inside the tank . And pump ain't shorting out inside the tank . Then you can go and check the wiring for shorts .

Have a look at the fuel pump diagnostic test connector located behind the alternator. See if its frayed or damaged and shorting out on the alternator case or the valve cover
Having trouble locating the test connector - is behind the alternator the correct location on an 84? Should it be near the oil pressure sending unit (sensor and clip were changed a couple of months ago).

H
After driving 1400 trouble free miles from Florida to Canada, my car died while I was going about 65 mph. Got it home and found that the 15 amp fuse for the fuel pump/injectors was blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again.

Any help as to what I should look at??

As an aside, when I turn the key, the oil/choke and service engine soon, dash indicators light up. From what i can recall, normally three indicators light up - oil/choke, service engine soon and volts - no idea if this means anything. Maybe the peanut bulb for volts blew at the same time as the fuse as a coincidence.

Help

Phil in canada
ey Phil up there in canadia same thing happened to me when I got new injectors and new translator and MAF my fuses did the same thing I would get 2 miles and car was dead it turned out I needed a booster for my coil pack from caspers electronics
And never had a problem again I'm pretty sure I got mine from kirban performance in PA

Back