You can type here any text you want

Car dies after warmup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike70gtx

After car warms up it quits. Would love to go to dyno this week. Do you think it could be ignition module? I still have fuel pressure. Seems like no spark.

yes that is a definite possibility. sometimes when the pack/module get heat soaked they stop working correctly. try swapping it out if you can.

Same thing use to happen to me , will it start up after cooled down ?
ended up being Crank sensor ?
By the way it was a O'Reilly's one lasted 1 months so I was sure it was not the crank sensor, then tried a GM one and BAM have not had a problem since.
That was 3 weeks down time trying to figure that one out :mad:

I had the coil and ignition module tested at Auto Zone and it checked out ok. I'll guess I'll try the crank sensor next, it's from Advance Auto and not too old.

No, it won't start back up until cool or next day. I just got a new crank sensor on and am going to get a new coil since I broke a connector off of the good one. O'Riely's had a coil for $30 something and an ignition module for $20 something with lifetime warranty. They are Borg Warner, which is the same module I have on now. That seems real cheap. Anyone had any luck with these.

The O'Riely guy must have been on crack. When I got to the store the price went up to $130 for module and $89 for coil. So I just went and got an a/c delco coil and module for $260. That and the new crank sensor fixed it. I would have done one at a time to see for sure which was the culprit, but I wanted to get to the dyno they had at the auto cross. I was hoping to do better but got 373 hp and 477 torque on pump gas and alky 24#'s of boost with a not so good tune.
Thanks for the help guys.

Excellent on getting it fixed, who would have known that the crank sensor would die like that, that or the module...

Congrats on the dyno, put your numbers in your sig, yours is bigger than mine :wink:
BW

The problem with getting them tested at an auto parts store is that I don't think that the test machine gets them hot enough for them to start braking down and stop working like a car does.

Mike70gtx said:
I had the coil and ignition module tested at Auto Zone and it checked out ok. I'll guess I'll try the crank sensor next, it's from Advance Auto and not too old.

Do not trust AZ, got a few horror storyies i could share, i would try putting a good used Ignition Module on it, i just had the same exact problem 3 days ago and that was the problem

...I would have done one at a time to see for sure which was the culprit,...

Your problem was most likely the Ignition Module. We recently went through a similar situation here. You basically drive the car 'til it dies and fix it fast. Customers' Coil/module checked out fine, but in the end the module was the culprit. Save the coilpack and crank sensor for when you may need them later.

Hope this helps.

Back