Car Dies at Traffic Lights

Brutal Buick

Hi...Today while sitting at a long traffic light my car just shut off. This has happened before and I'm getting a little concerned. It fires right back up and runs fine but was wondering if anyone know what could be causing this problem. Thanks

Jamie

Does anything else shut down too. It use to happen to me and then it got worse. It started shutting down everything except headlights and flasher. It ended up being the fusible link connected to the starter that controls power to the engine and interior.

Check basic stuff first. Could just be a vacuum leak, could be a matter of readjusting TPS and IAC, dirty throttle body......start simple and go from there.

In addition to what jimmy mentioned you could have a sticking TCC solenoid. Basically it's trying to lock the converter when it shouldn't be. You can check it by unplugging the connector on the side of the transmission. The lockup on your converter will be disabled, but you will at least know if that's the problem.

Thanks guys...I have a busy weedend so I'll mess with it next weekend. As for other stuff, no it still works. I didn't even know the car was off cause the stereo was still playing. I knew when I was just coasting with no power steering or brakes though. :D

Jamie

I would also check your ground connections on the car, especially the ground on your theft deterrant system. I have had spurious stalls that were traced to a flaky Prestige alarm.

I had the same symtoms youre describing. But it got progressively worse. It turned out to be the ignition module. swapped it out for a good one, and no more problems. Could be that?