You can type here any text you want

Car does not move when in gear?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

my1stgn

So we are out driving the GN and the car runs fine and pulls hard. We stop by, get some grub then jump on the freeway. Car drives fine. So we drop of my friend at his house then the car starts to shutter when we come to a stop (feels like the tc clutch doesnt want to dis-engage). So we drop him off then we go to pick up food for the wife. While we are in the drive through line, the car in gear, we hit the gas and the engine revs up but the car goes no where. I noticed trans temps in the 210 range. So we turn the car off, cycle the key and start the car and it goes into gear and moves forward. Then after moving a little bit and stopping it does the same thing. It feels like the trans is slipping bad!:eek:

So to drive it home we cycle the key, start the car and then drive for like 20 seconds before it does the same thing. Pull to the side. Wait, cycle key and then re-try it. Any ideas to what this could be?

Im thinking I may have fried some clutch packs but it does this in reverse and drive (1st and second gear for sure) Or can it be a tq convertor problem? The trans fluid looks fine and I rebuilt the trans about 1 1/2 years ago (has like 6-7k miles since then) Last upgrades where aluminum radiator and fmic. Everything else the same. Any clues or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Man it could be a ton of things.
Does teh fluid smell burnt and still look bright red?
Wipe the dipstick with a white towel or cloth and see if it leaves a little black with the fluid.

Is there any noise coming from teh torque convertor area at idle in gear or neutral?

Yep, it happened to me once...

Just bought the car (87 GN) for $15,000, two weeks later getting on the highway, gave it a little gass, it down shifted hard, that was it. It felt like it was slipping in FWD and REV.

BLEW THE SPLINES ON THE INPUT SHAFT.

Cheap GM part.

First call went to Bruce(WE4). Second call was to AAA. Had the car towed to Bruce's place. I had him just go through the trans. He installed a hardened input shaft and a little more parts. It has been five years now and no issues what so ever.

Just my two cents.

Just bought the car (87 GN) for $15,000, two weeks later getting on the highway, gave it a little gass, it down shifted hard, that was it. It felt like it was slipping in FWD and REV.

BLEW THE SPLINES ON THE INPUT SHAFT.

Cheap GM part.

First call went to Bruce(WE4). Second call was to AAA. Had the car towed to Bruce's place. I had him just go through the trans. He installed a hardened input shaft and a little more parts. It has been five years now and no issues what so ever.

Just my two cents.

I have the harden input shaft so I don't think that could be it, but it does make sense. When this happened, did u have reverse/foward for a few seconds after starting the car and then if failed? Or did it fail all the time?

Man it could be a ton of things.
Does teh fluid smell burnt and still look bright red?
Wipe the dipstick with a white towel or cloth and see if it leaves a little black with the fluid.

Is there any noise coming from teh torque convertor area at idle in gear or neutral?

????

Well, it could be one of a few things....

None of which are "good".
Here is the list I would start with:
1) It sounds to me as if the filter is clogging. When you cycle the key, it allows whatever is clogging filter to flow back down to the pan/filter. When car is started again, the fluid sucks up and plugs the filter suction again. When it does not move, ck the pressure at the cooler line. If it is low, you have a pick up issue. Drop the pan and ck. I'll bet you find all sorts of stuff in there.
See what happens is the filter sucks up fluid till it is restricted, Then when it cannot produce the fluid intake it needs , it appears to slip, which is really what is happening. If you broke a shaft, it would not move, period. The fact that your does after cycling the key tells me you have some other issue. look at it this way, if you are drinking a strawberry margarita, and you suck up a piece of fruit up the straw, what happens? It stops the flow of fluid. Now quit sucking on it and it falls out of the straw. Then when you suck on the straw again, it sucks margarita till the fruit plugs the hole again , correct? I know it seems like a goofy anology, but it is one that is relatable and comprehendable. But, Damn good anology huh? I could use one now and it is only 6:30 in the morning!. :biggrin:
Another quick method would be to install a pressure gauge on the trans and see EXACTLY what it is doing.
Give me a shout when you can and I will assist as much as I can.
But, step one, Drop pan and ck filter for being clogged. If you were on the verge of losing a Torque Converter, they can put metal in there quick and plug filter fast. .
I did not mean to make things seems so simple in my anology, or to make you feel "dumb" , just wanted it to be fully understood. Hell, I try , right? LOL
Try it and let us know.
I got a few other things to try so if plan "A" doesnt work we will move on.
Good Luck
Bruce
We4
Performance Transmission Services

( P.S. : Chiphead, Call me asap. I need to talk to you and also would like to ck in on Michelle and you guys. Haven't heard from you in a while and have been concerned. Adam, call me SOON!!!, I need some info only YOU have. Thanks again.) :)

None of which are "good".
Here is the list I would start with:
1) It sounds to me as if the filter is clogging. When you cycle the key, it allows whatever is clogging filter to flow back down to the pan/filter. When car is started again, the fluid sucks up and plugs the filter suction again. When it does not move, ck the pressure at the cooler line. If it is low, you have a pick up issue. Drop the pan and ck. I'll bet you find all sorts of stuff in there.
See what happens is the filter sucks up fluid till it is restricted, Then when it cannot produce the fluid intake it needs , it appears to slip, which is really what is happening. If you broke a shaft, it would not move, period. The fact that your does after cycling the key tells me you have some other issue. look at it this way, if you are drinking a strawberry margarita, and you suck up a piece of fruit up the straw, what happens? It stops the flow of fluid. Now quit sucking on it and it falls out of the straw. Then when you suck on the straw again, it sucks margarita till the fruit plugs the hole again , correct? I know it seems like a goofy anology, but it is one that is relatable and comprehendable. But, Damn good anology huh? I could use one now and it is only 6:30 in the morning!. :biggrin:
Another quick method would be to install a pressure gauge on the trans and see EXACTLY what it is doing.
Give me a shout when you can and I will assist as much as I can.
But, step one, Drop pan and ck filter for being clogged. If you were on the verge of losing a Torque Converter, they can put metal in there quick and plug filter fast. .
I did not mean to make things seems so simple in my anology, or to make you feel "dumb" , just wanted it to be fully understood. Hell, I try , right? LOL
Try it and let us know.
I got a few other things to try so if plan "A" doesnt work we will move on.
Good Luck
Bruce
We4
Performance Transmission Services

( P.S. : Chiphead, Call me asap. I need to talk to you and also would like to ck in on Michelle and you guys. Haven't heard from you in a while and have been concerned. Adam, call me SOON!!!, I need some info only YOU have. Thanks again.) :)

Yep. Plugging filter.

Cool, I will drop pan and check the filter. Donnie, you got a trans oil pan gasket? I got ur deep trans pan. I was thinking maybe the filter may have dropped in the pan, and when I turn the car off, the fluid drops to the bottom so it is high enough to get picked up but once I start it and it gets sucked up, then it starts to suck up air and starts to slip. Ive had a slipping trans before but it was only on 4th gear so this one is in all the gears, that makes me think its not the clutches (doubt I will fry a revers clutch pack) but I was thinking if it wasnt a dropped trans filter maybe something internal like the valve body or something. But I clogged filter sounds like a better diagnosis. I will drop it tomorrow and let you guys know! Thanks

Also might need another filter! :D And whats the best fluid to use with these trannies? Im running Mobile1 Synthetic. I run that in my 2000 GTP which I used to race and it now has 193K miles on stock transmission (has shift kit and trans cooler) and the trans is still solid. Even after years of burnouts so Im hoping this fluid is good for the 200R4?

Also might need another filter! :D And whats the best fluid to use with these trannies? Im running Mobile1 Synthetic. I run that in my 2000 GTP which I used to race and it now has 193K miles on stock transmission (has shift kit and trans cooler) and the trans is still solid. Even after years of burnouts so Im hoping this fluid is good for the 200R4?

Actually, I'm not a fan of Mobil 1 syn trans fluid. I'll let you know why when you come over for the gasket and filter.

Okay, dropped the trans pan this morning and this is what I found. Obviously there is some worn clutches in here. I know this needs a rebuild soon but I plan on racing it this Friday. Anyone here think its a bad idea. I know I run the risks of frying the rest of the clutches but Im pretty sure I could make a few passes before the trans needs to be rebuilt. The trans before here was slipping more than this one and it still drove fine and I still raced it when it was slipping. Also, the last pic, the sol had a bolt loose and one in the pan (i guess it came loose) what is this for and could this be the cause of my worn clutches? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2704.JPG
    IMG_2704.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2706.JPG
    IMG_2706.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2709.JPG
    IMG_2709.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2710.JPG
    IMG_2710.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 154
There's more metal than burnt clutch material from what I can tell. The missing bolt on the sol would not cause a problem as long as the other one was holding it in. You're chewing something up. I wouldn't race it.

Yeah thats pretty much what Wayne said this morning when I showed him the pan. But I think we are gonna roll the dice and race it Friday. Really want to see what that front mount IC will do. Hopefully we get a few good passes out of it before it gives.

Hey Don, I didnt get a chance to talk with you but what where you gonna say about the trans fluid? I need to go buy some so let me know what fluid you recommend. Thanks!

Hey Don, I didnt get a chance to talk with you but what where you gonna say about the trans fluid? I need to go buy some so let me know what fluid you recommend. Thanks!

At this point, run the cheapest fluid you can buy. It's going to be coming out regardless. Off the shelf Dexron/Mercon.

But I think we are gonna roll the dice and race it Friday. Really want to see what that front mount IC will do

:rolleyes:

there are far worse things that can happen when a tranny gives out then just rolling to a slow stop and saying "well I guess I'll put another tranny in".

Yeah thats pretty much what Wayne said this morning when I showed him the pan. But I think we are gonna roll the dice and race it Friday. Really want to see what that front mount IC will do. Hopefully we get a few good passes out of it before it gives.

Yeah. Wayne says his exact words were more like, "Holy S*!t!!!"

Back