You can type here any text you want

Car feels lazy

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
EricB said:
I was going to work on the car but i think i stay in the house tonight. Heater is out of fuel :eek: The cat is new (was) 3'' the only thing i think i could be is the valve springs.
One more time...
Have you checked your wheels?

sorry

Yes rearend is good to go this is one of hundreds that i have done. Brakes are not draging. It's werid the car feels good utill 4,000 or so it just falls on it's face like it's on a throttle stop. thats the best way i can explane it.

EricB said:
It's werid the car feels good utill 4,000 or so it just falls on it's face like it's on a throttle stop. thats the best way i can explane it.

Most likely valve springs, possibly the camshaft. Stock motor and cam??

K.

I found the rev limiter or the valves floated

Well if it had any carbon in it i"m sure i cleaned it out today, HAVE YOU EVER GOT SO MAD AT SOMETHING THAT YOU JUST DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPEND? Well i drove it to work and the more i drove it the madder it made me so i pulled it to low gear at or about 50 mph and held it there till well either it found the rev limiter or the valves floated at 6,300. The Motor has never been touched it has 87,000 miles on it.

Paul Clark said:
How about the fuel filter?
Yeah I mentioned the filter and injectors getting varnished up while sitting.
About hitting 6300rpm- you mechanically forced the engine to hit 6300. The motor didnt do it on its own. Im sure your thrust bearing hates you now. Are you getting any popping at high rpm when the power falls flat? Usually floating valves can cause the combustion to creep into the intake manifold and exhaust cause the valves arent closed when they should be.
You need to take the up-pipe off, and have someone floor it while you look at the blade. The TV cable or something as stupid as your floor mat could keep it from getting WOT.
Whats the fluid level in the tranny with the engine warmed up? When I put my stock converter in, i took the car for a ride and it fell on its face above 3500 or so. It ended up taking 4 more quarts of fluid. After i did that, the car pulled at the top end like never before!
I think I asked this before....At what boost is your alky kicking in? Whats the A/F during this transitional phase?
Turn your boost down to 15 or so. Turn the Alky off. Tune the A/F for this boost level. See if the power falling flat still happens. The O2 readings arent necessarily correct for the A/F you want, with Alky. Alky burns different. It requires about a 5:1 ratio vs. the gasoline's 12-14:1. Thats why EGT readings are better. Once you do this test and crank the boost back up and turn the Alky back on, tune it for knock, and not for some O2 reading. The curve the factory O2 gives you is TOTALLY inaccurate. At 750mv, you can be anywhere from 11:1 up to 15:1 !!!! My car likes a spoolup O2 in the low 600's, and a settled O2 in the mid 800's. Lean it out till you get knock and then richen it back up a tad. I have this feeling your engine is getting flooded with fuel, or running ridiculously lean. Adjust the Alky to turn at at 14psi and tune for it.
Also, this may sound crazy, but disconnect the pressure sensor on the A/C canister. First make sure that something isnt making the A/C run at idle, and make sure something isnt triggering it to turn on when you go WOT.
Also make sure your torque converter isnt locking up for some reason, when it shouldnt be. You can pull the connector off the side of the tranny. Pop the wire retaining clip back and pull the purple wire out. Plug the connector back in. Go test it and make sure you put it back in when you're done.
Have you checked your plugs at all? Ohm tested your coil packs and plug wires?

Here are some pictures, The fuel filter is new i think the cam sensor is bad when i graph the cam siginal it looks good till 3,500 then it don't peak like it should at times it almost stays flat with very little signature after 3,500 wave pattern is pretty good under 3,500. thank god for the Snap-on vantage.

Attachments

• Daddy's toy.jpg
    Daddy's toy.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 67_3[1].jpg
    67_3[1].jpg
    109 KB · Views: 99
Found the problem

Replaced the cam sensor runs like it use to it even starts quicker. I would like to thank everyone for there help. But i need a astro roof glass now.

EricB said:
Well if it had any carbon in it i"m sure i cleaned it out today, HAVE YOU EVER GOT SO MAD AT SOMETHING THAT YOU JUST DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPEND? Well i drove it to work and the more i drove it the madder it made me so i pulled it to low gear at or about 50 mph and held it there till well either it found the rev limiter or the valves floated at 6,300. The Motor has never been touched it has 87,000 miles on it.

Have I ever!!! I told myself, "It's either gonna go or blow!". Glad you got it fixed. These cars are great, but they can drive you nutty!

Back