Carb Vacuum Line Questions

gunnervirus

My Car's Too Loud...
Hey guys,

Check out this photo.

1. Is the power valve port the one in the center, directly under the fuel inlet?

2. The port just to the left is the PCV return, right?

3. On the vacuum diagram,where the vac. advance line leads to is unclear, can anyone help me out with this one?

4. Is vaporlock a problem without a charcoal cannister?

5. I have no emissions equipment on the engine (except PCV and EGR, for drivability), would it be feasable to use manifold vacuum (with a check valve, of course) to reference both the power valve and the EGR valve?

Thanks again guys,

Ben

I belive you are right on the power valve & PCV port's . But the vacuum advance , I maybe wrong , But I belive thats the one with the plug on it.

Any ideas guy's ?
It's been so long since the Q-jet was on my car.

Ben,

The center port under the inlet is the port for the power valve. You can verify this by attaching a hose to it and applying vacuum then pressure. You should be able to hear the valve move up and down. I have the valve connected directly to manifold vacuum via a hose and check valve.

I am unsure of the other port you menioned.

Thanks,

Trent

vac. connections

78 carb. vac. connections looking at the front are;

Bottom row from left to right;

EFE-EGR switch
PCV/EGR
PECV, port on long arm
Canister purge switch

Slightly above these and to the right is dist. vac.

The top two are;

LEFT = EFE-EGR switch via check valve/Air cleaner/ Carbon canister/PECV center port.

RIGHT = Carbon canister

Hope this helps.

cool, thanks guys.

I'm almost finished putting it all together. I've got my flywheel and clutch (finally). I just have to bolt in the tranny, then shorten the driveshaft, and get an exhaust put on, and it's drivable!!!

I'm very anxious to get this car back on the road. It's been nearly 3 years since I drove it last.