CAS Alum Rad. Oil lines plug.

G McCall

Just received my CAS Aluminum Radiator and I need to plug my oil cooler lines at the old filter area. Anyone know what size this plug is that will allow me to remove the old oil cooler lines ?.

(Will run tranny cooler lines through the Alum. radiator with one cooler option)

Originally posted by G McCall
Just received my CAS Aluminum Radiator and I need to plug my oil cooler lines at the old filter area. Anyone know what size this plug is that will allow me to remove the old oil cooler lines ?.

(Will run tranny cooler lines through the Alum. radiator with one cooler option)

If I understand correctly what you're saying, which is that you're just not gunna run an oil cooler at all, then you can simply remove that entire cooler assembly from the oil filter.

Take off your oil filter, take off the lines, and then you'll need to unscrew the sleave/nut that the oil filter screws onto in the center. This holds that cooler line adapter in place. Then you screw your filter onto the stud that previously the sleave/nut threaded onto. (Note, I dont think you can use a "biggie" oil filter with this as the adapter that adapts the biggie oil filter on wont be used anymore)

You're disabling the cooler for the engine oil[stock setup?].Think I read that right?How are you going to flow oil?
I would pull off the oil cooler adaptor and run the PF47/52 directly off the factory housing.No need to plug anything.Just unscrew the whole thing with a 1&1/8" wrench on the center adaptor and remove.

Flows fine it you remove the hoses and plug the holes with a couple of pipe plugs....If he has no intent of installing an external cooler in the future, he can remove the adapter as suggested.

I forgot to mention that I'm running a PTE turbo saver, so there is no filter in this area. However, can I screw off the Turbo saver adapter, then remove the cooling line adapter, screw the Turbo saver adapter back on and be good to go ?

Originally posted by G McCall
I forgot to mention that I'm running a PTE turbo saver, so there is no filter in this area. However, can I screw off the Turbo saver adapter, then remove the cooling line adapter, screw the Turbo saver adapter back on and be good to go ?

Yup.

You're saying that Tony's rad doesn't have a cooler built in for oil?
I would ditch the turbo saver,run a biggie adaptor like David Chases's and use a cooler of some sort utilizing the stock cooler housing and some lines.
Steve,correct me if I'm wrong here,but in the stock cooler adaptor housing,aren't the outgoing side and incoming sides of the adaptor physically isolated from each other?If you plug the outlet hole,how will the oil physically make it back to the inlet or return side.It's been four years since I modified mine,but I remember them being physically isolated form each other in the housing.

Chargedair (Tony) offers only one cooler on their aluminum radiator, and recommends using it for the tranny. (see Chargedair website)
Car should run cool and since I'm not road racing, I'm not anticipating any problems with not running an oil cooler. Still I may use my old tranny cooler for an oil cooler, if it would work.

FWIW I have found that using the oil cooler in the rad gives me about 4 PSI more oil pressure at idle than just running the filter off the pump housing with no cooler...

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Steve,correct me if I'm wrong here,but in the stock cooler adaptor housing,aren't the outgoing side and incoming sides of the adaptor physically isolated from each other?If you plug the outlet hole,how will the oil physically make it back to the inlet or return side.It's been four years since I modified mine,but I remember them being physically isolated form each other in the housing.

I have forgotten how the passages work, But we plugged off one a couple of months ago that way in anticipation of adding an external cooler and we still had the same oil pressure...

Rastaz.....my experience is the same. The external cooler will help the idle oil pressure.

RK, the three pass radiator does not allow for more than one cooler due to the baffling required to redirect the water flow direction.

I would guess that the plugged fittings on the cooler housing would be sensed by the bypass as a plugged filter and the bypass would open.What I don't remember is whether there's a bypass in the cooler housing or not?I'll have to check one out over at Ewok's place and get back to you on that.

I just received my CAS aluminum radiator and would like to find out as they say "The Rest of the Story".
G McCall,
Did you ever find out what plugs to use for the oil sleeve, or did you take it off? I also have a PTE oil saver on my car. I too am going to use the rad as a tranny cooler. Anything else I need to know before starting the installation. Does your car still have A/C?? Mine does and I'm wondering where to mount the A/C lines now as the CAS rad does not have a tab to tighten the lines down too. Also any problems running the tranny lines to the radiator? Do the lines simply screw in? I also remember reading somewhere that there was a problem with the radiator cap, is this true? TIA.

Originally posted by WANNAGOFAST
I just received my CAS aluminum radiator and would like to find out as they say "The Rest of the Story".
G McCall,
Did you ever find out what plugs to use for the oil sleeve, or did you take it off? I also have a PTE oil saver on my car. I too am going to use the rad as a tranny cooler. Anything else I need to know before starting the installation. Does your car still have A/C?? Mine does and I'm wondering where to mount the A/C lines now as the CAS rad does not have a tab to tighten the lines down too. Also any problems running the tranny lines to the radiator? Do the lines simply screw in? I also remember reading somewhere that there was a problem with the radiator cap, is this true? TIA.

Fiirst of all DO NOT plug oil cooler adapter. I'm having new wrist pins installed for that mistake. Either remove oil cooler adapter totally or loop the oil cooler lines together. As for fittings, NO the tranny cooler lines would not screw in . Maybe Tony has an adapter kit. Doesn't matter what it cost ,I would get it. No regular auto store carries the fittings. I found a specialty hose fitting store that has any fitting, and will make any new or replacement hose cheap. Look in yellow pages for such a store. Do not have AC anymore. My radiator came with a cap, which worked Okay, for the very short time I ran the car.
Good luck

Originally posted by boostedLC2
How much does your new Dequick radiator weigh vs. the stocker?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim I weighed them both 3 months ago, but I don,t remember exactly the difference. I had a four core HD unit. Seems like difference was only 14-16 Lbs.

Thanks for the reply guys!

Jim,
I have not taken the stock radiator out of my car yet. The aluminum one is nice, but took longer to get it than expected.

G McCall,
Thanks for the advice. If I would have messed my motor up, I'd been pi$$ed as I'm sure you were. I'm going to try and find a fitting that will screw into the radiator, maybe a barbed fitting, and attach the tranny lines that way. So you're saying to connect the oil lines together where they go into the radiator? I guess if I wanted too I could place a oil cooler in-line at that junction, right? TIA.