Cash for clunkers, blowing up perfectly good running cars.

IMO the one ones who get anything out of this are the ones with a car/truck/van that's worth less than $2000 and can actually afford a new car payment. Otherwise might as well sell your clunker so another private party.

Oh yeah.....is it me or are the CFC engine destroyers just wussies? I mean it seems they only rev the engine to 2k and dump the crap in...why not open the engine up WOT and let it ingest sand and ball bearings?

I work at a large Honda dealer and I have "killed" several vehicles. I just drain the oil, fill with 2-3 qts. of sodium silicate, start it, run it for 4-7 min. in park at 2000 rpm and just listen to it die. We've had a few radiators puke while killing the engine, but mostly it's drama-free. Our back lot is full of mostly Expeditions, Explorers, and Cherokees. Along with a few older minivans and pickups. Then the wreckers show up a dozen at a time to haul them off. As far as being "perfectly good", yeah, some of them were. The dealership pays us the same as an oil change. Without getting too political, I think it's a bad idea. Basically, it saves the consumer several months worth of monthly payments, the dealership gets a temporary sales boost, the lender gets their money from financing, and like any other big government giveaway, the taxpayers are stuck with the bill. Obama, your my hero!