You can type here any text you want

CAT crank for SII?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well I was doing some run of the mill research and I found no real description of wide vs narrow journal only large and small (diameter). I guess I figured the terms were interchangeable. Now I realize they are not. So does anyone have good information and experience on when a wide journal is a must have or nice to have. Right now I am guessing the 1000HP mark.

Thanks

The actual difference in journal width between a wide vs narrow journal crank is only .050". If both cranks are of equal quality the narrow journal crank will actually be stronger due to the additional material between the splayed rod journals.

As far as what H.P. level you need additional journal bearing surface I really can't say. Most of the opinions that relate to H.P. level and narrow journal cranks relate to the Chineese cranks made by Eagle, CAT, GN1 performance etc. I would stick with what TA recommends at about 850 H.P. although I know people that have run them harder than that.

Neal

Back