Catastrophe

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
I had a funny feeling about going to the track Saturday night, I had a Fire Fighter course on that day, and the next day too; and thought I should just stay home and take it easy.
But I wanted to have some "fun" but the weather was forcast to be decent for mid summer and I wasnt sure when I would have any more time off to visit the track.
I got to the track at 7 pm let the car cool until 8pm. I prepped the car for a run by makeing the following changes on the Extender:
1-2 gear timing Retarded 2*
Increased fueling 1 BLM #
race fan mode
TCC lock up 90 MPH
I was directed to the left lane, did my little burn out and staged the car.
I built 5 lbs of boost and waited for the tree. I left the line decently and the car pulled nice and strong.
About the 1300 ft mark (yes near the end/traps) I see the Scan Master report 8.2 retard and before I realize /react; "Ka-bam" then some shrapnel sound, and I see smoke streaming from the back of the car.
I steer to the left side of the lane as to not oil eveything down, car stalled and I stop the car .
There was alot of steamy smoke so I grab my fire extinuisher and pop the hood. The engine compartment is covered in milkshake. My preliminary look detects nothing:confused: I get on my hands and knees and the oil pan is intact and not dented..
But there is a big puddle of milshake coming from some where:dunno:
The track guy comes and asks if I need a tow I say "yes" so the put her on the flat bed and I get in and they say there is a $40 cash charge. I said I only have $34 (Liar I am:wink:) So I pay my $34 for a 1/8 mile tow to the pits and try to see whats wrong.
I see nothing from the top or from underneath. i get my trusty jack and lift it up a foot. There right behind the motor mount i see the #1 rod sticking though a hole about the half the size of a pack of cigarettes.
Oh well the junkyard 4.1 died in a blaze of glory.
I figure the #1 piston let go and took everything out I was running Hypers so I suspect they werent up to task. The car really ran strong, I did have some reservations from past issues but they were ironed out.
Now I had to figure on getting the car home I called a few tow places and at 8:45 got a guy to do it for $4 per mile and would be there in an hour.
2 hours later he arrives as it is pouring down rain (which wasnt in the forcast and the skies were clear until 8:30!)
I get home at 1:30 AM and hand the guy $400 bucks with discount and go to sleep. Oh well i have the low mile built up 109 sitting on a stand just in case of things like this.
Too bad; the 4.1 was nice, had 5,ooo miles and did high 11s sorta wish I had the money for the forged pistons and roller cam back when I was building it, but hey "if you dont have -it you dont have it."
The 109 has TRW forged and I will spend extra for the roller cam, I still have a 291 4.1 waiting for the mega build when my career is more stablized.
Well that was yet another adventure in from the never ending saga of Steve B.
Hope you liked it stay tuned.....

P.S.
Oh yeah i walked to the timslip booth and the car went thru the traps at 12.2 113 mph I left the slip there figured the hell with it.
P.P S. the scan master recall showed 35.2 retard! Im sure that was the pick up fromthe egngine parts scattering.

Glad your taking OK!! Thats racing!

BUT!!!! IF you had the Caspers Knock Screamer that SCREAMS at you I Bet you would have let off in time. Oh well, time to pull the motor & make sure you hang the busted up p[arts on the shop wall! They look Cool at least!

Been there done that....

Thats why I trailer the car to the track!! I hear all the macho "I drove it to the track and it ran blah blah blah...." and I just laugh. I've been there done that and am lucky to still have my car. Had to leave it at the track over night. :eek: The track was over an hour away too. Headgasket let go at about the 1200 foot mark. It did go an 11.38 though!! Anyway.... good luck and this time get something that SCREAMS at you about knock. I know I did. later:D

Main reason I have AAA. $80 a year and free towing!
I have towing and labor in my insurance policy all good! Right?
Wrong:That is until I found out today they only cover you to the nearest repair facility, which they said was 28 miles away.
I asked the claims lady so you wanted me to tow this on a late saturday night to a closed service facility in a city further from home than where I was to hope the can fix a turbo Regal? maybe for a tire or water pump but not a blown engine!
So since this made lots of sense; she said the most we can do for you is 50% which I accepted-- but grudingly I thought I was covered within that distance.
I mean if it was 200 miles or more then I can see a tow being excessive.
I dont have the means for a trailer right now but maybe a car dolly, would work.

Steve,

Sorry to hear about the 4.1.... Is this the same cylinder you had the cracked skirt that you showed me when I was down a few weeks ago? Could it have been something not easily seen left behind in the cylinder wall when you replaced that piston?

As I read post like this I'm updating my notes for my build. "Use Forged Pistons!!" ..... duely noted.

Later....

Steve,

Sorry to hear about the 4.1.... Is this the same cylinder you had the cracked skirt that you showed me when I was down a few weeks ago? Could it have been something not easily seen left behind in the cylinder wall when you replaced that piston?

As I read post like this I'm updating my notes for my build. "Use Forged Pistons!!" ..... duely noted.

Later....

Same cylinder but different injector and inj. harness maybe it was the cylinder geometry was off and it put a tortional strain??? Not really sure.
Engine didnt show knock retard under street testing.
As for you forged for a 3.8 is very inexpensive they have off the shelf TRW/FederalMogul/Speedpro powerforged pistons for around $300. Well worth it I have them in the standby short block. and there are TONS of guys running them.

Thanks for the thread. You just made me feel better about MY problems.

Hey thats what Im here for. :(

Steve,

Sorry to hear the 4.1 is finished, I must say you have a better attitude then I would have... these cars can sure be money pits, as we all know to well. I have a audible knock sensor, when it stops working, I will replace it.(I like it that much, to many gages to watch going over 100 mph)

Chuck

Well i thank you for you honesty, at least i know its wasnt the hypers that killed your engine it was the KNOCK!! Im still putting in the hypers.

Well i thank you for you honesty, at least i know its wasnt the hypers that killed your engine it was the KNOCK!! Im still putting in the hypers.

Wait! There is the chance that the knock sensor picked up some noise from the piston coming apart!
To be honest I'm baffled on what happened.
I just waiting to see if the turbo, trans, heads, crank, etc. sustained any damage.

Are you a paid Firefighter? or a vol. i trade fire patches if your interested thanks pat broughton

Are you a paid Firefighter? or a vol. i trade fire patches if your interested thanks pat broughton

Beaufort City (SC) volunteer its a paid and volunteer fire Dept. Ive got ten months left in the military and looking to transition to FF, so I'm finishing up my training got two classes left.

Out of curiosity did you have a girdle on the 4.1?

No girdle. This was an experiment of low budget. I got the engine out of a junked car and had the rotating assembly balanced, flat tappet cam, and hyper pistons. I then swapped over all the stuff on my 3.8 onto it eventually got a bigger IC, turbo, and convertor.
The reason I took this approach was i wanted to see how much for how little I could go I have my Mega 4.1 dreams in the works. I have a 291 4.1 block, Cat steel crank, K1 rods, BHJ balancer, and Flexplate.
Still need forged pistons. and billet roller cam. and either steel caps or girdle and champion intake and heads to top it off. Still lots to go. Ill run my trusty 109 until I get around to finishing the parts accumulation.

I would be surprised if AAA or anybody would cover a break down at the track. Does anybody know if their policy covers damage if you hit the wall? You were probably lucky to get 50% back for towing.

They didnt ask where exactly I was or what I was doing. They wanted to know from and to........
and NOT lucky to get 50%; towing insurance is just that --towing & labor, they just happened to have fineprint of the minimum distance to a repair facility.
Collision damage will NOT be covered from an incident at the track.
You would need specific coverage for that under a competition policy if there is such a animal and it prolly aint cheap.

How long did u run that 4.1? Your not far from me, ive been to the beach over there. Anyway i plan to put a little hard block in my 4.1, and all the stuff off the 3.8, this block i got 0044 has from what isee more meat than the 3.8!:eek: