You can type here any text you want

CCW Wheels RUB BAD with Hotchkis Suspension Setup, Options/Opinions PLEASE!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
How much different are bear brakes?
Don't know the differance but I do know the exact measurements for the BAER brakes on how much the wheel is pushed outward.

Front: .400 (1/2")

Rear: .200 (1/4")

These measurements are VERY important when installing ANY aftermarket brake system in order to get the proper Back Spacing for your wheels..

Scot W.

So if I was running 18x8 with a backspacing of 4.5 and 18x9.5 with a backspacing of 4.75 would I need to go up to 5 all around?

Where is it rubbing in the inner fender ? outside or inside
Has it been aligned ?
Is the body on staight on the frame ?
You are running a 245/40/18 which is 25.75" tall
I have found that you need to run a tire that is below 25" tall in the front to avoid most rubbing, I have rubbing lock to lock.
I run 255/35/18 on a 9.5 CCW

I would go with a 4 3/4" BS in the front.
He already is at that.. (post #7)

The issue he is having is because he didn't let CCW know he had after market brakes and spindles so they made them up for stock brakes and spindles.

He either needs to re-size the wheels correctly to acount for the off-set of the aftermarket brakes & spindles (which is easy to do with 3-piece wheels)OR go back to the stock brakes and spindles and the wheels will work out just fine.

Scot W.

You are running a 245/40/18 which is 25.75" tall

I have found that you need to run a tire that is below 25" tall in the front to avoid most rubbing.
I run 255/35/18 on a 9.5 CCW
Eric is correct, and he is speacking for cars that are lowered quite a bit and on 18" wheels!! If you dropped down to a 245/35-18 it would work Much better but I still think you need to call the manufacture of those brakes & spindle set up and get the EXACT measurements that they off-set the wheel and go from there.

Scot W.

He already is at that.. (post #7)

The issue he is having is because he didn't let CCW know he had after market brakes and spindles so they made them up for stock brakes and spindles.

He either needs to re-size the wheels correctly to acount for the off-set of the aftermarket brakes & spindles (which is easy to do with 3-piece wheels)OR go back to the stock brakes and spindles and the wheels will work out just fine.

Scot W.

I wasnt replying to the original poster. I was replying with Howling Mad. And I'm quite aware of the differences of the aftermarket brakes but thanks for the lesson!!!:biggrin:

I wasnt replying to the original poster. I was replying with Howling Mad. And I'm quite aware of the differences of the aftermarket brakes but thanks for the lesson!!!:biggrin:
Ahh I see! And what I typed wasn't as a "Lesson" it was just his two options that's all. I'm sure between CCW and the OP they will get this sorted out quickly. John @ CCW is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Get your damn car running so maybe you can come and compete with us sometime!! :biggrin:

Scot W.

After looking at your pics closely your front tires are tall and I may of missed it but I did not see any bump stops on your lower control arms. If you have stock geometry top control arms you to have alot of shims in the rear of the arms. My 2 cents worth is the tire height need to be lower in the front.

Ahh I see! And what I typed wasn't as a "Lesson" it was just his two options that's all. I'm sure between CCW and the OP they will get this sorted out quickly. John @ CCW is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Get your damn car running so maybe you can come and compete with us sometime!! :biggrin:

Scot W.

One of these days it'll be back on the road. 1.5 years of no job really puts a hurt on my car funds. I've mostly been focusing on getting rid of everything lately. But......I have another rear end in the works and should be coming soon.

Then it's onto the fuel system and unfortunately I'm missing out on a tune session with TylerZO6 and Cal since it's not done yet.:(

So if I was running 18x8 with a backspacing of 4.5 and 18x9.5 with a backspacing of 4.75 would I need to go up to 5 all around?

You will be fine with what you have.

My fronts are 17x8.5 with 4.32" backspacing and Baer brakes and it is good. With only eight inch rims on the front you wont have a problem with 4.5 inch back space w/Baer brakes. You should be good to go on the back too w/Baer brakes.

my Aerospace kit has a 1/2"spacer on it...with this, my front wheels sit further out...with it off, they sit further in. LOL wish I knew the exact aerospace set up...guess I could call them

Where is it rubbing?
Is there Equal tire to outer fender clearance on drivers an passanger front wheels?
Battery still in the front?
What springs are you useing now?

I just went through all this an know some the delima's (i forced 295/40/18's an 255/40/18's in the front on mine)

Question? What would causes bad bump steer? Tire size, or width of rim? Drop Spindles?
I have 3pc HRE 18x9 245/40/18 Fronts with 2 inch drop spindles and stock springs. I Want to get a lower stance and add Eibach springs too and just modify on what rubs. DSE rear springs in the rear 2 inch drop. Here is my issue my bump steer issue is bad, every bump I hit my steering wheel turns. I think my ride height has nothing to do with it? Right?
Thanks for any tips.

I have 1 inch hotchkis, bilsteins and 275's up front with stock spindle and no bumpsteer. It has to be those spindles.

Question? What would causes bad bump steer? Tire size, or width of rim? Drop Spindles?
I have 3pc HRE 18x9 245/40/18 Fronts with 2 inch drop spindles and stock springs. I Want to get a lower stance and add Eibach springs too and just modify on what rubs. DSE rear springs in the rear 2 inch drop. Here is my issue my bump steer issue is bad, every bump I hit my steering wheel turns. I think my ride height has nothing to do with it? Right?
Thanks for any tips.

It can be all the above you listed. Also if your useing differant spring in the front an back,your spring rate's differant,through the torque your car an un-even pavement it with pull or push you all over the place. I just took my 1" ebich springs out,there way to soft for my taste,my BRM a-arms drop an inch already,I put my ATR rate springs back in all around an the car's Perfect,I still have to replace the frame to body bushings to get another 1/2-1" then i'll drop it back down.Make sure your tire an wheel clears fender lip An the wheel-well's at full lock to lock turns.

Enjoy!

Thanks for any tips.

BellTech drop spindles only magnify our cars' poor front end geometery (bad bump steer). it's not a problem using different front and rear springs as most are in the same ball park as far as spring rate goes. Sometimes it's actually beneficial to have a unmatched spring rates based on where the weight of your car is. The problem with our cars is that as the suspension loads, the stock geometery applies pressuure towards the outside of the tire.

Think of it as this, you are taking an off ramp exit towards the right. The suspension loads the drivers side of the car. With our geometery, the tire, under load, moves up and into the wheel well. The to0p of the tire moves outward and the bottom moves inward. This is why the tire rides on the outside of the tread. With the dropped BellTech spindles, you are essentially moving the mounting point upwards on the curve, which reacts more drastically as you reach the top of the curve.

What needs to be done is to widen the angle between the ball joints so as the car loads up, the curve isnt as drastic. This can be done many different ways with many different manufacturers. I chose the ATS spindle but i also like the Howes tall ball joints.

A basic lowering spring actually helps somewhat too. This makes the lower A Arm sit more parrallel to ground, which in turn extends the lower portion of the curve. Then you just get it aligned.

Just my 2 pennies!!:tongue: --------Jeremy

Thanks for the tips! So is there a bump steer improvement from going to DSE 2 inch lowering springs in the front, over 2 inch drop spindles?

The DSE springs at $200, is what I'm looking to get and reinstall the stock spindles. Is there other good ones out there that will do the same? Part numbers please.

My goal is to have my fender line cover 1/4 to 1/2 of my tire. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 232
Back