You can type here any text you want

CHALENGED BY A LS1 will I have a chance?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
I was recently chalenged by a couple of guys one who has a LS1 TA and the other a z28 both have the LS1 motors putting 450rwhp to the ground with only motor and they are both shooting 200shot of nitrous. They want to run me from a 70mph roll and are acting like they will just kill me....

Here's what I have: 86 GN = TE45a w/.63 percision exhaust housing, PTE stock location I.C, 60lb mototron injectors, stock ported heads, match ported intake, RJC power plate, scanmaster2.1, direct scan, more in my sig. I'll be runnin all race gas, 28-30lbs boost. My question is do you guys think I'll have a good chance?? help! scot w.

our cars aren't top end warriors, but I'd say your car is making more power than 450.... now are these guys claming 450 hp rating with the 200 shot? Also I'd ask them to run from 30 on up to about 120 or so. Racing from a 70mph roll is about gay and very dangerous.

V8'sHAHA said:
our cars aren't top end warriors, but I'd say your car is making more power than 450.... now are these guys claming 450 hp rating with the 200 shot? Also I'd ask them to run from 30 on up to about 120 or so. Racing from a 70mph roll is about gay and very dangerous.
450 with OUT the nos

Help me here guys this would be HUGE for me to beat these boy's...

Play it safe, keep it at the strip. If they want to race you from a 70mph roll they're nuts. You would have to do that on the street and that's stupid, and dangerous. If they don't have what it takes to make it at the strip, they are not playing in the right class.

V8's said it right, our cars are built for the strip, their's aren't. If they like to race like that, let them do it elsewhere. To each his own.

Do it at the strip only. Sticky tires and a good launch you got a good shot IF what they are packing is true. Unless you've seen the dyno sheet, they may be doing ricer math on those numbers. It would be nice for you to see them run first, and not from "a roll".

scot w. said:
I was recently chalenged by a couple of guys one who has a LS1 TA and the other a z28 both have the LS1 motors putting 450rwhp to the ground with only motor and they are both shooting 200shot of nitrous. They want to run me from a 70mph roll and are acting like they will just kill me....

450 N/A rwhp from an LS1 has big $$$$ in it.... It would take at least 300 cfm heads and big roller cam... probably turning 7200-7500 RPM..... got a friend that went to Thunder racing and got that... but it was probably 10k worth of tuning/mods.... it can be done... but the chances that 2 guys local has spent that much time and money.... is probably a stretch IMO.

I agree with the posters above...... 30 to maybe 110 or so on the street is all I would be up for.... but would much rather take it to the strip.......much safer... the cops would probably place you under the jail if they caught you....heck... they would probably make the Seargent a Captain for nabbing you.....!

At least if you go to the strip.... you have a tree to make sure neither has an advantage on the go.....

Just my opinion.

Those LS1's can be pretty tough, If your car is making good power I wouldn't run him past 110 mph, OD sucks in these cars. Here is a video of a friend of mines T-type with a very similar setup as you running alcohol with the boost at 25#. Here you are: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446271 The Trans am has a cam, 150 shot and maybe some headwork..be careful..runs were from 40 to high 120ish.

They're probably full of crap on theird HP ratings. Even so, you'll have a hard time keeping up at that speed. Besides, who the hell arranges a 70mph roll race anyways? Sounds like they're scared. Try to get them to the track, or at least go from a slow roll.

If you had alky I'd say you would have a much better chance in the top end. I have a buddy with a built 97 LT4 Camaro 6 spd. I'd kill him from a stop or slow roll, but one time we both got into it on the freeway (60-120) and he nosed ahead. I was running C16 and 25psi at the time. A few months later I was running 22psi on alky and pump gas. We were on our way to the track and tried the freeway run again. This time I pulled on him 4 car lengths.

Alky keeps the intake temps under control and allows our cars to pull like freight trains in the top end. (Just my opinion of course)

I agree man, go from a dig. Who the heck races at 70 ? When you put two cars against each other for bragging rights, its all about the quarter mile. Just tell them you're done playing games, get one guy to flag you or do it at the track. Do they brag about their interior winning in the all around competition ? :biggrin:

Hey man, even if you lose to these guys just think it took a built V8 and a huge shot of nitrous to beat a 20 yr old Regal with a lil V6. :wink:

I bet their LS1 buddies are telling them to go from a roll cause the Buick will kill them from a dig, hehe.

Man, you guys need an LS1 education! 450 rwhp N/A isn't rare, nor is it expensive. I'm there with a set of ported stock heads (about $2000 total with hardware) and a cam swap with bolt ons (headers, lid, ported TB, etc.) Maybe $5K total with convertor. Of course I have supporting mods like fuel pump, injectors, rear end, etc., but that has no bearing on HP potential.

The race could go either way. I'd say go from a dig, like all drag racing should be done. If your car runs good, you got a shot. 200 shot on an LS1 is alot, make sure they aren't just trying to scare ya.......

turbosam6 said:
Man, you guys need an LS1 education! 450 rwhp N/A isn't rare, nor is it expensive.

Easy there big fella..... LOL

I repect the LS1 series of engines... they had/have lots of potential... I have a new article on the new LS7 6 L motor..... article said those were the baddest production cylinder heads they had ever seen period...... flowed like 380 cfm on the intake.... stock :eek: The article went on to say the engine was only a camshaft change away from 600HP..... :eek: :eek: If Buick would have had heads that approached even 300 cfm..... there would be plenty stock long block un-opened motors in the 9's....in full weight cars...... as the case was they have shiiiiiiiiiiiiiity heads from the factory (152 cfm on the intake??? or something rediculous like that)...... anyway.... technology has come along way...... but you still got to respect each others strengths.... and from the factory.... the old Buicks are hard to beat for comfort... and at the strip...... The driver LS1 cars out there that can lay waste to some of the street driven Buicks out there are definately not the rule........ but the exception.......

A race from a 70MPH roll? They might as well be challenging you to a game of chicken becuase the same priciples will apply. They will get you out there and egg you on to go faster and faster. If they really want to find out who's car is faster, they will meet you at the drag strip. Good luck.

do a little more research.... i have a guy here in texas has stock lower end ls6 ported heads and a mild cam. has some dyno tuning and a 125 shot. off bottle he makes 450 rwhp and on bottle 515. i was there or i would not have beleved it. on track on bottle he is 10.2 @135. from a 70 punch these cars are unbelveble from hole shot there not too bad. i think you could beat them up to around 100 from there its all driver.

turbotoy

Don't even give these guys anymore of your time. It's gay to only want to race from 70mph.

They must not have the suspension to go from a dig.

You already have the upper hand. They must be worried about you're little 6. :cool:

Typical Ls1 guys. They put all their money in the engine and none in the drive train. (The weak link in these cars) They won't run you from a dig because they will break something. Either the tranny or rear end. Tell them you will DRAG race. That is what your car is set up for. You should bury them. :cool:

whitehot84 said:
Typical Ls1 guys. They put all their money in the engine and none in the drive train. (The weak link in these cars) They won't run you from a dig because they will break something. Either the tranny or rear end. Tell them you will DRAG race. That is what your car is set up for. You should bury them. :cool:

I couldnt bare to spend $2000 on a rear and $500-$800 on a clutch setup to drag race my TA, that's the main reason I'm finally building the GN the right way, less parts breakage, but I love my TA, don't get me wrong. Nothing like the throttle response and 6 speed, but I missed the boost REALLY bad after driving the LS1 for a year while the GN was in the garage. Boost seems to stay in your system :p

turbosam6 said:
Man, you guys need an LS1 education! 450 rwhp N/A isn't rare, nor is it expensive. I'm there with a set of ported stock heads (about $2000 total with hardware) and a cam swap with bolt ons (headers, lid, ported TB, etc.) Maybe $5K total with convertor. Of course I have supporting mods like fuel pump, injectors, rear end, etc., but that has no bearing on HP potential.

The race could go either way. I'd say go from a dig, like all drag racing should be done. If your car runs good, you got a shot. 200 shot on an LS1 is alot, make sure they aren't just trying to scare ya.......

It isn't rare but it is expensive. $5000 is very expensive. And 450hp all motor is not as impressive as it may sound. My WS6 puts 316hp to the rear wheels bone stock, my bother's Z28 just put 303hp to the rear wheels bone stock right down to the paper filter. $5000 for just another 130-150hp is ridiculously expensive.

BTW, racing from a 70mph kick is retarded as is racing on the street. If they are too chicken to race at the track then forget 'em, it's not worth the problems if something happens doing it on the street.

The race is set at the track, LOOK HERE FOR DETAILS!!

My close freind Bill Howell has just had his convertible GTO on the cover of popular Hot Rodding and is a moderator for the pro-touring.com board. Well september 18th of this year he is renting the 1/8th mile 411 speedway in seymour TN for the pro-touring guys. popular hot rodding will be there again this year along with some other magazine's like last year. He said to all the boy's at Highperformancetoys.com they are welcome to show and settle our differances :biggrin: This is a FREE thing and any of you are welcome also if you could make it, we are having a HUGE rod-run in town 9/15-9/17 that week-end and we will be going on a ride latter that evening and to dinner. If ANY of you could make it, This would be great!! and I can count on our cars getting in the popular hot rodding mag.. bill knows both the editors very well!!
E-MAIL me if your interested and for more info.... I would love nothing more than to bring a sea of black in and show some turbo power... Thank you guy's

Back