You can type here any text you want

Champion alternator brackets

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KendallF

Blah blah blah
Hey, I figured with all of the other Champion threads, we might as well have one more. ;)

I have both versions of the Champion alternator brackets here; these are some good looking pieces! I'm taking pictures of the installation and I've also set them up on the S2 heads to figure out what hardware changes will be necessary for people who want to run them on the S2s.

Since I'm lazy, I'll just post a link to the other thread where I posted picture links. :)

bracket thread

Kendall,

I was just mocking up alternator last night.....................timing is everything!! Questions:

How is the belt tension adjusted/maintained? How much $ is the alternator only bracket? If it isn't too exorbitant, I'll go that way. I already have a clean stock AC bracket and a new delete pulley.

Originally posted by turbodave231
Kendall,

I was just mocking up alternator last night.....................timing is everything!! Questions:

How is the belt tension adjusted/maintained? How much $ is the alternator only bracket? If it isn't too exorbitant, I'll go that way. I already have a clean stock AC bracket and a new delete pulley.

On the alternator only bracket, the tension is set with a double adjustable rod end link..turn the center section and tighten the jam nuts to set. On the alt/ps bracket, the power steering pump bolts slide up in down in slots; the tension is adjusted by turning a set screw much like a rocker arm adjuster that bears on the bottom of the pump housing, pushing it up in the slot.

The alt only bracket lists for $198...maybe somebody can talk Tom into a Vendor special here on the board, I don't know. :)

I just spent a bunch of time today taking step by step installation photos of both brackets on a stock block; I'll have a web page up shortly with pictures and details, including belt lengths for stock pulleys.

One correction: in the other thread, I mentioned that both brackets should work with twin headers on S2 heads. After more fitment, it looks like the alternator only bracket will work but the alt/ps bracket won't; it mounts the alternator slightly too high for twin headers (at least mine and the ATR ones).

I have no idea what Champion charges but just for comparison a friend got a complete set of March serpentine pulleys and brackets for a 460 Ford motor. Crank, water pump, power steering, and alternator pullies, top and bottom alternator brackets (top bracket was basically a turnbuckle with rod ends, bottom was a spacer and long bolt), and top and bottom power steering pump brackets (these were machined plates). All billet machined aluminum, polished, very pretty - total $610. I had to read the total twice before I could believe it :eek: .

He doesn't market it but there is someone on the other board (here sometimes too) that made up an alternator only relocation kit for under $100. I'm supplying him with weldments. Essentially the same in function as the Champion but considerably less. Anyway, there is an alternative. Email me if you want to see how mine turned out.

Back