You can type here any text you want

Champion gn1 ?s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
It would depend on what rpm you shifted at to determine the drop. If it's dropping to 5200-5300 after a shift it sounds about right for what you have. You mentioned you felt it fall off in the quarter. If it's picking up close to 25% mph in the back half it's not falling off. 102-106 is a huge range for eighth mph. 102 should net 127mph. 106 should be 132.5mph. So a 10.5x vs a low 10.20. If you're running out of turbo gains will taper off as boost increases. If exhaust pressure is increasing at close to 1:1 compared to manifold pressure it's not out of turbo. Id expect exhaust pressure to be in the low 40's at the end of the pass. You're definitely not out of head.

BPE2013@hotmail.com
1-2 shift at 5150 and drops to 5050. 2-3 shift at 5200 and drops to 5100. What upgrade should I consider to get another 4-5 tenths off my time in the quarter? I just read a post from dusty that he likes to see a 600 rpm drop at the shift point. I am just wondering if I should restall my convertor now before I put this car back together.

Attachments

• 1419337072271.jpg
    1419337072271.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
1-2 shift at 5150 and drops to 5050. 2-3 shift at 5200 and drops to 5100. What upgrade should I consider to get another 4-5 tenths off my time in the quarter? I just read a post from dusty that he likes to see a 600 rpm drop at the shift point. I am just wondering if I should restall my convertor now before I put this car back together.
I think you are not living in the roof of your torque curve. My old iron head engine was pulling well to about 52-5300. I would shift at 55-5600. I had a nice set of heads and a stock cam with a TE34. She went 11.9's at 117.5 in the 1990's

I think you are not living in the roof of your torque curve. My old iron head engine was pulling well to about 52-5300. I would shift at 55-5600. I had a nice set of heads and a stock cam with a TE34. She went 11.9's at 117.5 in the 1990's
Yes, you could be right, I just don't know what I need to change to get my rpm's higher.

Valve springs?
why would you suggest valvesprings
in his case he didnt state the motor wouldnt pull he said that his shifts were low and how could he get more rpm , thats a transmission issue not a valvetrain issue

try manually shifting the gears or modify the governer for higher shift point

Your converter may actually be too tight since peak power is at 5200 and your dropping to 5050. If you want to see more rpm drop shift at a higher rpm. Your time slip doesn't indicate any fall off. To get more rpm you need more power. What you will need more than anything is more boost unless you want to take weight out of the car

BPE2013@hotmail.com

why would you suggest valvesprings
in his case he didnt state the motor wouldnt pull he said that his shifts were low and how could he get more rpm , thats a transmission issue not a valvetrain issue

try manually shifting the gears or modify the governer for higher shift point
Torque will influence shift points. It's a box to eliminate in the process of problem understanding. I drive decisions with data so a data plot is helpful.

Thank you for all the help. I will pass along all this info to my engine builder. Janis is doing my transmission, so I'm sure it will be perfect this time.

Back