You can type here any text you want

champion heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JC3569

What heads are better for a gn with mild mods.champion iron heads or champion aluminum heads .

THANX FOR ANY ADVICE :confused:

unless you want to make a race car Id go iron heads without a doubt.good to mid 10 easy and have gone mid 9s

Heads

THANX FOR YOUR IMPUT I AM BUILDING A STREET/RACE CAR WANT TO RUN LOW 11'S.:smile:

I am also considering GN1's or Irons, I will be girdling in the near future. Can someone please tall me some pros and cons of the two chooses? Low 10's would be great.

What effect would a set of irons do to a near stock engine? Hp / Tq gains? Or do you need supporting mods for a full effect? Thanx

Air Fuel adders.You can go mid 11s on untouched internal mods other than maybe a timing chain and gears and valve springs,convertor.I would do the bolt ons first unless you need to pull the heads for another reason.If you are pulling heads anyway a mild port could gain you 2 tenths .With supporting air and fuel probbaly 4 tenths .It is hard to pinpoint due to so many variables.It is easy to set at the computer and say mine will do this or that .However the proof is on the 1320.The basics should be worked out first like tune ,suspension, work on 60' times ,and get your car doing everything it can do before just throwing money at it.My son went 12.20s on a totally stock heavy weight limited with nothing but fuel mods and bluetops it went 111 MPH.stock unported heads i bet have been in the 10s.but really after what im strugging with right now i really dont know if i know anything about buicks so i dont know why i even responded

What heads are better for a gn with mild mods.champion iron heads or champion aluminum heads .

THANX FOR ANY ADVICE :confused:

Iron heads are a better chhoice for your goals.

Are the irons CNC's from Champion a full race port

Whats your definition of a full race port? To me they are not but they will support more power than 99% of what most on here would be able to get out of their hydraulic cammed engine with small valve springs.

What effect would a set of irons do to a near stock engine? Hp / Tq gains? Or do you need supporting mods for a full effect? Thanx

There would be gains but a turbo and higher boost levels will really wake it up.

Haven't the Champion irons gone high 8s on a 109? I think I remember it being either Dick Kerney or Roy Garcia.....or maybe both.

Haven't the Champion irons gone high 8s on a 109? I think I remember it being either Dick Kerney or Roy Garcia.....or maybe both.

Pretty sure Dick Kerney has/had TA heads for that run.

Pretty sure Roy Garcia went like 9.20's, 86Brick would probably know for sure. ;)

Bison, a mild port is probably all I really need, just doing some probing before I throwing some more money at it. The wifie thinks I go fast enough as it is, I don't think that's possible. It looks like I'm going to invest in iron. Thanks for the inputs.

My opinion would be that you should get the best flowing head you can afford. The more power you make on motor the less boost you need for a given power level. I'd say a properly built 3.8 with GN1's, Roller Cam, etc. would probably make enough power to run 12's without a turbocharger, so even a moderate amount of boost on a motor like that is gonna be a monster.

My opinion would be that you should get the best flowing head you can afford.

Only if the flow gains are at low to mid lift. Increasing the peak flow by increasing the runner volume and shape will most often hurt performance unless the engine is built around high rpm use.

I am making the assumption that the engine would be built to work with the abilities of the head.

I am making the assumption that the engine would be built to work with the abilities of the head.

I wish i could make that assumption but the op is only looking for low 11's. The champion iron heads are good to 10.0 without cranking the boost much over 25psi. If everyone built around the heads and maximized the combo we would have hundreds of 9 sec iron head car here.

Back